Welcome to the 600th Post of WTIT Tape Radio: The Blog. Just because there is a lot of something doesn’t mean it’s all good. But since our first post over two years ago, we’ve just tried to be funny. Someone needs to be the wise ass and let’s face it, I’m fucking good at it. So many of you have been with us a long time now. Thanks for stopping by and giving us a read. 500 posts ago we told you 100 things about us. Today to celebrate 600, we will update 100 things about us.
1. I was born on the 3rd day of November.
2. I was one of 3 children.
3. The 3 children were born 3 years apart. I am the oldest.
4. I graduated high school (Kingswood) on June 3rd.
5. I graduated college on June 3rd.
6. I am one of 3 Bernard’s in my family. My son Ben is the III and Bierne, my dad, is Sr.
7. My son Ben is Bernard 3rd. He was born on May 3rd.
8. I have always loved the Yankees. The most famous Yankee, and all time baseball player, was Babe Ruth. He wore number 3.
9. I have been married and divorced twice. Maybe number 3 will work out. I probably should start dating again.
10. If I could be remembered for one thing, I would hope my kids would say after I am gone “He was a great Dad.”
11. I have 4 kids. The 3 “thing” had to stop somewhere. I have 2 grandchildren.
12. I have had great friends in my life. Every one of them at some point recorded on WTIT. My best
friend is John (Harvey Wallbanger). I met John in 1993. Johnnie Walker, Rock Rolling and I are extremely close as well.
13. I met John because we dated the same woman as I. Just not at the same time.
14. When my daughter Heather, who is an incredible actress and musician, performed, I often cried. I was so proud. To read that she performed again this week, for the first time in years, was a good thing.
15. My son Ben is the most moral man I have ever known.
16. My mother Jean, sister Diane, brother Mark and I have always celebrated February 7th. We wish each other a “Happy Blaze’s Birthday”
Blaze was our childhood dog.
17. The “Blaze’s Birthday” bit actually started as a joke, while the dog was still with us, on WTIT. When DJ’s came over they came into the studio and say that Blaze almost knocked them down when the entered my home. I always said, “You didn’t pet him did you?” They always said “No.” I’d say, “Good. We only do that on his birthday.”
18. My son James is an awesome guitarist and songwriter. He is as creative a person I have ever known. His band is So Long Davey
19. My Dad is 82. He stills does bars, generally piano bars because he sings like Louis Armstrong. We are close friends. We were out on Friday night at a piano bar.
20. I have worked for a lot of companies, including some I have owned. My three past favorites: Movieland Video, owner. Dialtone Disco, Disco DJ, WMAS-FM, Morning Show.
21. My favorite activity is listening to music. Next to sex, but fortunately they are not mutually exclusive.
22. In rock music there is The Beatles and then everything else. I enjoy many current bands, but none have had The Beatles impact.
And when someone says, “I never liked The Beatles” I always think, “Than you know shit about rock music.”
23. My favorite comedy movie is either “Notting Hill” or “When Harry Met Sally”. I can’t decide.
24. My favorite drama movie is “Casablanca”.
25. My favorite sport is baseball.
26. My favorite team to watch is UConn Men’s Basketball.
27. I hate bigotry and racism. I don’t mind the jokes with stereotypes, as long as they are not mean spirited.
28. I think the best President in my lifetime is Bill Clinton. I was born when Harry Truman was president, but I don’t remember him. It doesn’t make me support Hillary. Not one bit. I would vote for her over McCain, however.
29. My favorite island is St. Martin.
30. I have not been in a relationship in a while besides for my hot housekeeper and neighbor’s wife. I hope my next girlfriend knocks on the door soon.
31. I am a Scorpio. I was born in the Chinese “Year of the Cock”.
32. I was sick for almost two years starting in 2002. Everyone, including me, thought I would not survive it.
33. I made peace with myself and was gratified for the years I had and the life I led.
34. My family: Parents, brother, sister and children have always been there for me. I hope I have returned the favor.
35. No one was as surprised as I that I made a full recovery.
36. I did not discover religion. I am still agnostic. But I do say an “atta boy” or “thank you” every now and then. Just in case…
37. If it does not have a ball, it is not a sport. Unless it is soccer. The ball cannot save that sport. My son Ben once used this line in college as a freshman. He did not know he was talking to the captain of his school’s hockey team. That did not go well.
38. I have kissed Bonnie Raitt.
39. I slapped five with Rod Stewart.
40. I worked one day for Paul McCartney. (It was by design a one-day job.)
41. The most talented DJ I have ever heard is Don Imus. I’m glad he’s working again.
42. I love my present job at United Liquors. Selling alcohol. I call it “God’s work.”
43. My daughter Jules is a complex spirit. Her illness, an eating disorder, has robbed her of six years, friends and happiness. She is currently in rehab and due to leave on Friday.
44. My granddaughter Lauren may look like her Dad, but she has her Mom’s personality. And a terrific personality it is.
45. John Lennon had the biggest impact on my life, as an “outside” influence.
46. I cried the night John Lennon was murdered. I had old friends I hadn’t talk to in years call to see how I was doing.
47. I always thought Beatles fans were really hard on Yoko. That said, I still wish she hadn’t shown up. A couple more albums by The Beatles would have been nice.
48. Paul’s best song was with The Beatles, “Yesterday”. John’s best song was solo, “Imagine”.
49. I love the show “Real Time with Bill Maher”.
50. I am a huge wild animal freak. I watch Discovery, Animal Planet and National Geographic Channel constantly.
51. My favorite wild animal is the lion. Then, the rest of the big cats. Then, primates.
52. “Crossing Jordan” should not have been cancelled. Jill Hennessy is incredibly hot.
53. I grew up only dating blondes, even after my first marriage of 18 years. Now I prefer brunettes.
54. I never get road rage. I have always done the stupid thing that they guy who cut me off. So unless I have never committed the offense, I let it pass. I told my “road rage” theory once at a job at Northeast Utilities. Two days latter a guy told me I had changed his life with my philosophy.
55. The most talented person to ever DJ at WTIT was not me. It is The Midnight Plowboy. Had he had the right breaks he could be doing ANYTHING in show business he wanted. That he didn’t is an incredible waste.
56. My favorite car I have owned was my 1987 Lincoln Mark 7 that was featured in a James Bond movie. I sold it to The Midnight Plowboy. I still miss it. Although my current Budmobile, which is new to me, is a close second.
57. The only reality show I like is American Idol. I like it a lot. This is its seventh season. I am still glued to it.
58. My favorite TV show of all time is “M*A*S*H”. “Star Trek” (any version) is second.
59. I love the “Law & Order” shows. I will admit though that the concept has “Jumped the Shark”.
60. My favorite all time crime drama, though is “NYPD Blue”.
61. Jimmy Smitts and Alan Alda are my favorite TV actors. It was incredible to watch them together during the final year of “The West Wing”.
62. My favorite movie actress is Julia Roberts. Meg Ryan is a close second. Michelle Phieffer is my third favorite actress.
63. I still love “ER”.
64. My favorite thing to do is to be at a party with my kids.
65. My second favorite is to be recording with my friends on WTIT.
66. I always thought WTIT would be discovered. Not so much for the comedy and DJs, but for the journal aspect.
67. I never thought I would have a platform like the Internet to get WTIT exposure.
68. My Mom never really cared if she had children. It is amazing that she did such a good job.
69. As much as I love watching animal shows, I am not much of a pet person.
70. I don’t like gambling. But, it is good I have other vices.
71. Killer Joe had the silliest sense of humor of any DJ at WTIT.
72. Bouncing Billy had the most obscure and clever humor.
73. Galloping Gary & Rock Rolling have very similar senses of humor and both are very political.
74. The one party they were at together when they met, they spent a lot of time together.
75. I was not surprised they hit it off.
76. The Cosmic Commando called himself WTIT’s Science Editor. He always explained that the tape number had some significant parallel scientific value.
77. When Cos was on vacation once I tried to copy his tape number bit. Johnnie Walker booed me.
78. I had a boss once who loved my sense of humor. In meetings when
we had to wait for something she would say, “Bud say something funny.”
79. I don’t like telling jokes. My humor is more of a constant commentary. If you are a regular reader here, I am sure you know this. I write a humor blog but don’t tell jokes. Go figure.
81. So, when she asked me to “Say something funny” I couldn’t.
82. I’d respond, “I am not awake yet Cheryl. Joke amongst yourselves.”
83. When my boss at WTIC yelled at me once, I responded, “I just got divorced. I know everything wrong with the world is my fault.”
84. He laughed so hard he forgot why he called me into his office.
85. I won a “most motivated” contest at WTIC by telling the Vice President/Judge to fuck herself.
86. I have had 7 back surgeries.
87. I have had less then 7 wives.
88. The Counting Crows’ line, “All my friends and lovers leave me behind” I find particularly haunting.
89. Johnnie Walker does the best accents. He can do anything.
90. There are two WTIT films from the sixties.
91. There are three videos of us recording at WTIT. They are: The 15th Anniversary Show in 1982. The 20th Anniversary Show in 1987. The Tape 400 Show in 1990.
92. I am embarrassed by our president. I am glad he’s going away in less than a year.
93. My favorite football team is the New England Patriots.
94. The New York Giants are second. The Super Bowl this year was hell. I rooted for the Pats to have the perfect season.
95. My favorite color is blue.
96. WTIT’s 40th Anniversary Show last year was a blast. Rock Rolling, Gregarious Greg, Johnnie Walker and I were recording the show and the Midnight Plowboy phoned in to the show.
97. I have never seen the movie that we use the names of the stars in our WTIT shows.
98. The movie is “Operation Kid Brother”.
99. I would like to see that movie.
100. I am glad this is over.
Thanks for being with us on some of our first 600 posts. We only hope to bring you a laugh and yet you’ll still have to think to stay with us. Stealing was suppose to publish today. WTIT Tape Radio: The Blog will return with something spectacular. OK, we will settle for “did not suck.” Join us then.
Same time. Same blog.