Saturday 9: Somewhere (1983)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) This song is from the hit musical West Side Story. It has just been remade by Steven Speilberg. Are you interested in seeing the 2021 version?
No. I love theater. I love music. I hate them together. I saw the original when I was a kid. I liked it, but I was very young.
3) Barbra Streisand sings of longing for “time to spare, time to learn and time to care.” The holidays are often too busy for many of us. With Thanksgiving almost upon us, do you wish you had more time?
No. I used to hate all the pressure of Christmas. Until God said, “Let there be Amazon.”
6) One of Barbra’s hit movies is The Way We Were, a love story about hopelessly mismatched lovers. Streisand always wanted to do a sequel and worked with a screenwriter on a treatment. Her costar, Robert Redford, refused. He simply was not interested in revisiting his character. Is there a movie series that you especially enjoy?
Bond. James Bond.7) Barbra met her husband, James Brolin, at a dinner thrown by friends. They hit it off immediately, but he had to leave the next day to begin a movie in Ireland, so they began their romance over the phone. Do you enjoy long phone calls? Would you prefer video calls (Zoom)?
I enjoy long calls with the right person. I facetime with my sister a lot.
8) On July 1, 1998, two years to the day after their first meeting, Barbra and Brolin married. It used to be that brides were advised against wearing white for their second wedding, but Barbra ignored that, wearing a white beaded gown. Do you believe brides should still avoid white the second time around? Nope. I think the idea only virgins should wear white is about as anti-feminist as you can get.
9) Random question: Is anyone on your bad side this morning? Not yet, but the day’s young.
See you next time. Just eight shopping months till I move to Phoenix. We will return. Same time. Same blog.