1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. War memorials, as well as graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers this weekend in a show appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood? Not that I’m aware of. But we do have a shit load of statues. War memorials in New England & the northeast are tricky. We were solid in our opposition to the Vietnam war. We never got to over the top until 9-11. Oh, and the Republicans fighting the 1/6 Commision imo, is traitorist.
2) Here at Saturday 9, we regard everyone who served — veterans and active military — as heroes. Have you, or has anyone in your family, worn the uniform of our armed forces? We want to hear about them. No. Dad was 4-F in WW2 & my draft number was such I was never going to ‘Nam. On my mom’s side we’ve got Marines. But I wasn’t going to war. Had things worked out differently I’d be in Canada. At least until Regan pardoned draft dodgers.
3) Similarly, we’re grateful to those who served on the front lines during the Covid 19 pandemic. Tell us about anyone you know who was an essential worker, a first responder or administered vaccines. They deserve a shout out, too! My first ex-wife is a RN. Whether she had anything to do with fighting Covid, I do not know. She doesn’t call much.
4) Memorial Day is the traditional kick off of the summer season. Have you packed away your winter clothes yet? I am lucky enough to have two large closets in my master.
5) What’s your favorite picnic food? Ribs, but burgers rock as well.
6) As you answer these questions, is there a fan or an air conditioner cooling your room? Yes. And it’s on. We are recording tnight for WTIT. I’ve got it on now at 4PM (Friday) but I think by the time the boys in the band are here it won’t be needed.
7) This week’s song is about a heartbreaking situation. The lyrics are a letter from a soldier to his family, which was only to be sent in the event of his death. What’s the saddest song you have ever heard? “Tears in Heaven”, Eric Clapton. Anyone who is a parent feels that song in their bones.
8) This week’s featured artist, Tim McGraw, has a star on Hollywood Walk of Fame. It’s near those honoring William Shatner and Julie Andrews. If you could have lunch with one of those luminaries — Tim McGraw, William Shatner or Julie Andrews — which would you choose? Shatner. He’s a jerk, but he is our (Star Trek fans) jerk. I met him once and he was a jerk. But the other two hold zero interest and I imagine at a luch event with him it might be “facinating”.
9) Random Question: Think of the last thing you bought. Was it a wise purchase? Yes.
That’s it for a Saturday this Memorial Day weekend. Life is good. Going out now not needing a mask feels SO free. We hope that you will join us next time. Whenever it is. But, rest assured, we will return. Same time. Same blog.