Saturday 9: What’s Love Got to Do with It? (1984)
“What’s Love Got to Do with It” is also the title of Tina Turner’s film biography, which tells of Tina’s escape from her abusive, controlling husband, Ike. October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Spread the word that help is available. 800.799.SAFE
1) The video was shot around New York City in spring. Kids are seen jumping rope. Were you good at jump rope? Has it ever been part of your workout routine as an adult? In school it was sort of “jumping rope” or football. I played football from 8 through high school. Yes, I was very good at it.
2) In real life, Tina Turner played basketball for her school. Were you good at team sports? Besides football I played baseball. Just those two. Oh wait. Isn’t “Show my yours & I’ll show you mine ” a team sport?
3) In the video, Tina Turner wears a little
black dress topped with a denim jacket. That jacket is a fashion staple 36 years later. Do you own a denim jacket? This is gonna kill you Gal, but
my denim jacket is signed (with thread) by Sir Paul McCartney. I got it during his 2002 Tour. My brother went to see him in Boston and his customer bought him a ton of stuff to thank him for the tickets. That is not my bro’s thing so he sent it all to me. Paul played Hartford for the only time in 2002. I was unemployed and 2 seats cost $500. My mother told me to charge it. So I did, took my son James to it. I’ve seen him three times. Boston 1976, Hartford 2002 & Boston 2016 (at Fenway Park”. I actually found all three concerts, pirated of course of all three. It included a football jersey that said “McCartney 02”
3) This song was first offered to Cliff Richard, a major pop star in England who never enjoyed gained superstar status in the US. Perhaps, if he had recorded “What’s Love Got to Do with It?,” he would have been better known on this side of the ocean. Tell us about a time when you said “no” when “yes” might have been the better answer. A zillion times at various jobs. I also was also (sexual) set up for some wild times and occasionally I said “Tempting but no”. I should have said no to myself when I thought trying to try & save my third marriage was important.
4) Tina’s first marriage, to Ike Turner, was a painful one. Her second marriage, to German music executive Erwin Bach has been far more supportive. This has been a blessing, since Tina has had serious health problems in recent years. Do you have any medical/dental appointments scheduled? Let me count the ways. I always have appointments coming up. Between my PC, specialists & my cardiologist, I am busy. On a bright note I recently passed both my stress test & echo. If you have no idea what that means, well then I wish I had your heart, so-to-speak.
5) Tina met Erwin at Heathrow Airport in 1986. He was there to help her prepare for her London performances. They immediately liked one another, but didn’t become romantically involved until months later and were surprised to find themselves falling in love. Have you ever had a romantic relationship that crept on you? Yes. My second marriage was like that. We starting having basically a sexual relations & worked backward. After I month I realized that I cared way too much. I finally admitted, “I think I’ve fallen in love with you”. She replied, “Tell me about it.” Not romantic but true. We moved in and had a house in 6 months. We married within a year.
6) The Rolling Stones’ Keith Richards referred to Tina as his “favorite aunt.” Is there anyone who isn’t a relative of yours by blood but you refer to as aunt, uncle, brother, sister, etc.? My parents frowned on that. She thought it confused kids. She was right IMO. Although “Aunt Tina” ha a great ring to it. Except I never had an aunt with Tina’s body. If that were a choice I’d do it today.
7) Former President George W. Bush is also a big Tina Turner fan, and has praised her for having “the most famous legs in show business.” What do you believe is your best physical feature? I am hung like a horse. Most women have asked for a picture, but I’m shy.
8) At home, Tina often doesn’t always play music or TV because she appreciates quiet as much as music. What about you? Do you enjoy quiet? I hate it. I listen to music if I’m not watching a movie or TV. I am proud of my music collection of 15K songs. I add to it weekly. Right now The Spinners “Sadie” is on. I embed the cover of the LP it’s on, year, written by, genre is entered. In iTunes it’s impressive since the LP cover is large when displayed.
9) Random question: On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being “very lazy” and 10 being “very productive,” what number are you? I’ll go with 69. What do you mean it’s not an option? It’s a great option.
I cannot believe I forgot to to do Monday Madness this week. I hope to play this week. Thank you everyone who’s playing, too. I was going to wait until my third wife got a job before filing. I don’t do “pile on” and we are getting along great. But that’s it. The magic is gone. In the mean time it’s back to the future. Tomorrow is Stealing and we hope to be there. Join us. Same time. Same blog.