Thanks to The Gal for authoring this meme. Click on the Sat-9 title of song on the next line below to play.
1) In this song, Bobby Goldsboro celebrates the “little things” that delight him, like seeing his girl smile. What are some little every day things that reliably lighten your mood? In this time, it is a good question. These days I speak with The Queen a lot. That’s usually the deal daily. We laugh a lot.
2) Bobby is a lifelong sports fan. While in high school, he came to terms with physical limitations — slender build, slow speed — that would prevent him from having a career as a professional athlete. That’s when he turned his attention to music. Given your choice, would you rather make your living in music or sports? Explain your decision. Music. I like sports – some a lot, but I love music. I became a DJ cuz I couldn’t play an instrument or sing.
3) Shortly before “Little Things” was released, Bobby toured England for two weeks, backing up Roy Orbison. They opened for The Beatles. Bobby fondly recalls spending time with Paul McCartney, teaching him how to imitate the croak of an Alabama tree frog. Are you good at imitations (human or otherwise)? Yes. I used to imitate teachers’ voices & called my mom telling her that Bud was the bottom of the gutter. She would start yelling & I just laughed.
4) Back in the States, Goldsboro (again with Orbison) opened for the Rolling Stones in New York. Which band did you listen to more recently, the Stones or the Beatles? The Beatles. I did add their virtual rendition of “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” a couple of weeks ago. Neil Young said it’s better to burn out than rust. The Stones are just rust now. The Stones would not be in my top 10 bands. And there is The Beatles and then everything else.
5) Bobby worked on projects with Burt Reynolds, doing the music for the movie Gator and the TV show Evening Shade. Burt said it was not only Bobby’s musical ability but also his wit that made him fun to work with. What qualities do you value in a coworker? Honesty.
6) These days, Bobby spends more time painting than performing music. He regularly donates his artwork to be auctioned off for charity. Have you ever tried your hand at painting? Nope but my BFF Harvey Wallbanger is terrific at it.
7) In 1964, when this song was on the radio, women spent more on styling gels and sprays than they do today. Are you having a good hair day? Or has the pandemic made dealing with your hair something of an adventure? I think I am gonna cut it myself.
8) Nationally and internationally, one of 1964’s biggest news stories was the marriage of Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. The bride wore a yellow dress and white and yellow flowers in her hair. The groom was decked out in a sedate dark suit with a red tie and a yellow boutonniere. What did you wear the last time you got really dressed up? For a wedding or a funeral. Final answer.
9) Random question: Imagine you’re stranded on a desert island with a complete stranger. Would you prefer your one and only companion be a man or a woman? Woman.
Hope the world is good to you. Stay well and we will be back. Same time. Same blog.