Thanks to The Gal for authoring this meme. Click on the Sat-9 title of song on the next line below to play.
1) Doris sings that she has her bag packed. Tell us about your luggage. Is your bag easy to spot on the luggage carousel? Until last year my luggage was easy to spot. Maybe because I was given it as a high school graduation gift. Very old. But still as good as the day I got them. But, no wheels. I am too old for that shit.
2) The release of this song coincided with VE Day, and so it meant a great deal to troops returning home from Europe. What song has sentimental value for you? Why? As I’m sure remember that my dad sang at nightclubs. His signature song was “What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong. He sang it at our wedding. Now I always get teary eyed when I hear it whether it’s his version or Armstrong. my favorite song is “Imagine” by John Lennon. Coincidentally, on the brand new Barbra Streisand album she does the two songs as a medley. But it’s best song is “Don’t Lie to Me” a real rocker. It’s her assessment of the Trump administration. I heard the rock song when she showed the video to “Don’t Lie to Me” on the Bill Maher show.
3) As a young girl, Doris was passionate about dance. Concentrating in the studio and performing on stage helped distract her from heartache and embarrassment over her parents’ divorce. When you want to escape from what’s troubling you, what do you do? Usually I’ll need to talk it out with either my wife or my son Ben. My dad was my go to guy for everything. My sister on certain subjects can be good as well.
4) Her dancing days came to an end when, at age 15, she was in a car accident and damaged her leg. During her recovery, she discovered how much she enjoyed singing with the radio, and was delighted to find others enjoyed hearing her. Tell us about a time you unexpectedly found happiness or success. I loved doing night clubs gigs as a DJ. My last one was in the 90s. I warmed the house by warming for the comics. I had never done standup, but I was pretty good at it. Had I been younger or had enough money I would have given it a whirl.
5) She moved from singer to actress in the late 1940s and was a major movie star for 25 years. She was paired with the most popular leading men of her time — everyone from Clark Gable to Frank Sinatra to Rock Hudson. If you could share a kiss with any actor or actress, who would you choose? Jill Hennessy.
6) 1968 was a terrible year for Doris. First, she suddenly became a widow. Then she discovered that her late husband and his business partner had squandered her money and she had to file for bankruptcy. Oh, wait! There’s more! She also found that, in his role as her manager, her late husband had, without her knowledge, committed her to a weekly TV series. Do you have a 1968? What year you can point to and say, “Wow, I’m glad that’s over”? 2016 when a broken neck made me retire, I did think, “Man am I glad that’s over with.” I mean my career. No more résumés!
7) After retiring from show business, she became an advocate for animal welfare. She has said we should be more sensitive to the loneliness, sadness and guilt people feel when they lose a pet. Think of a time you were grieving. What words or gestures helped you through? Conversely, what’s something no one should ever say to someone who is hurting? If I never have to hear “He/She’s in a better place.” How the fuck do you know that? It is not at all comforting to me. Particularly since I’m agnostic.
8) Doris’ only child was her son, record producer Terry Melcher. Terry had a successful, years-long collaboration with The Beach Boys. Do you have a favorite Beach Boys song? “God Only Knows” is not only my favorite Beach Boy’s song, but right up the as best song ever. It’s in the discussion.
9) Random question: What’s one thing you’ve never done, but have always wanted to try? Play guitar, but more in the I wish I had learned. I wife misunderstood when I said that, I don’t want to do it now. I meant she bought me one for my birthday last year. I have picked it up a time or two since I know a few chords. But my days of wanting to be Eric or Jimi are gone.
A weird thing is happening. I’ve lost a lot of weight. I’ve lost 20 pounds and four inches off my waist. My doc says the at my age losing you appetite happens. I love the look as long as he’s right. But I feel excellent, but I’m glad I checked it out. We are going to try to do Stealing. Thanks for dropping by. See you next time on this here Tape Radio Blog. Peace & love-