Thanks to The Gal for authoring this meme. Click on the Sat-9 title of song on the next line below to play.
1) The Beatles recorded this after they had taken a three-month hiatus from working together as a band. Do you find you’re sharp after taking time off? Or does it take you a while to get back into the swing of things in your day-to-day life? It takes me a while to get into the “swing of things” as you can see from this lame fucking response. Although since I have not worked a day since breaking my neck, I may not be the right person to ask.
2) During those three months off, John Lennon made a movie called How I Won the War. What’s the last movie you watched? Did you view it at a theater, on TV, or from a device like a computer or tablet? “Rouge One” is now on Netflix and that’s when we saw it. Not terrific, but compared to those awful computer generated first chapters, it was brillant.
3) Paul McCartney and George Harrison both used their time off to make new and different music. Paul composed instrumentals for a movie soundtrack while George studied sitar with Ravi Shankar. Ringo Starr spent those three months with his wife and their two little boys. If you had three months to spend doing anything you wanted, and money was no object, would you try something new (like Paul and George) or just kick back and relax (like Ringo)? I’m 65. There’s nothing better than relaxing. I cannot wait to close on the sale of our house and settle into our apartment. From a 4 bedroom 3 bath home to a two bedroom apartment. But this will make my money last longer when I officially retire.
4) Paul recalls what fun it was to dress up in Edwardian-era costumes for the album cover. When did you last attend a costume party? What did you wear? I’m a Klingon.
5) Paul says he came up with the name “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” when Beatle friend Mal Evans told him about this great San Francisco band, Big Brother and the Holding Company. Paul hadn’t heard their music yet, but he loved the sound of their six-word band name. Soon everyone would hear of Big Brother. Do you know who Big Brother’s famous lead singer was? Janis. The Queen of Rock.
6) Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band appeared on the Billboard charts for 175 weeks. Is this album in your collection? I have the American vinyl. I have the English vinal. I have the 2009 remastered edition. This was the best album of all time.
7) The Beatles are among the top-selling artists of all time in Zimbabwe and Ethiopia. Would you like to visit Africa? I watch a ton of nature films of the big cats of Africa. That said, I don’t think I’d love to contend with the heat or the insects.
8) 50 years ago, when Sgt. Pepper was first released, the average price for gas was 33¢/gallon. When did you last fill up your gas tank? Do you remember how much it cost? $2.32.
9) Random question: Are most of your married friends happily married? It’s split. Johnnie and Captain are single, the rest of us are happily married. Happy as far as I know.
I have never felt more shame as an American as I did this week when our president went all in for racism. What a horrible man. He needs to resign. I am part out The Resistance.
On that note, enjoy your weekend. We record for the last time in this house and Studio 33 1/3. We have verbally agreed to an apartment and unless something falls through, the next studio will be known as The Windsor Studio. Peace & love.