Thanks to The Gal for authoring this meme. Click on the Sat-9 title of song on the next line below to play.
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) In this song, a girl sings that she’d rather spend a quiet evening at home than go out on a date. How about you? Do you enjoy quiet time? Or do you prefer keeping a busy calendar? I have been both at different times in my life. We don’t go out and travel a lot, but we do try to keep busy. Last year I felt that we did The Star Trek 50th rather well. My favorite was a tie. Meeting Bill Shatner and appearing as a Klingon at Trekonderoga.
2) She dreams of how her life with Johnny would be. What did you most recently daydream about? I’ve been trying to figure out what and when to celebrate WTIT’s 50th. Normally it wouldn’t matter. But we are going to sell our home. I’m gonna miss this home very much.
It housed my favorite WTIT Tape Radio Studio and den. You can’t be disabled and own a 4 bedroom, 3 full bath house. I’m not complaining. Fortunately, I purchased a great disability package, but it only lasts 2 1/2 years. But it gives us time to scale back. I can’t say that I’ve enjoyed my “disabled-at home” status. That is until Tuesday. That was the day my disability policy was approved. You’d think breaking your neck, suffering paralysis (since better) and being told that my recovery thin is about 2 1/2 years as well. I’d love to move back to West Hartford where I grew up. There are lots of creative adventures I want to try.
3) Shelley never considered herself a singer and is more comfortable acting. A costar on The Donna Reed Show, she was pressured to make this record by the show’s producer, who wanted extra exposure for the show by having this song on the radio. Tell us about a time you ventured outside your comfort zone. I wanted to do a You Tube sharing the stories I’ve written about. I was going to write a book. But now I think a 7-10 minute monologue each week might be the way to go. I did do a pilot for a video version of the WTIT feature “A DJs Take”. as I have discovered various shows I realized Nikki Swift and WatchMojo do “top 10s” way better that what I did. But doing comedy makes much more sense. We shall see.
4). Elvis said she was his favorite leading lady, and she appeared
with him in three films. What qualities do you appreciate in a coworker? It depends. With men it is the comradely that results in doing a terrific project together that not only impresses the “powers-that-be”, but also make money. With women, it’s about great breasts. Oops. Did I think that or type it? Never mind. Keen moving. Nothing more to see here.
5) She met her close friend and fellow teen star Annette Funicello when they were 12 and attended the same Catechism class. What do you recall from your middle-school years? I’m so old that they still called it “Junior high school”. It was during those years that I learned how to form friendships and had my first romantic encounters. What mother allows her 14 year-old daughter and her boyfriend go down to the rec-room every afternoon and never check on us. Not once. By our third date we got naked. A lot.
6) After The Donna Reed Show, Shelly went on to a recurring role on One Day at a Time and was twice nominated for an Emmy for her work on Coach. Her husband is Mike Farrell, who played BJ on M*A*S*H. Which of those four sitcoms would you enjoy binge watching? M*A*S*H. By a lot. I did not know about Mike and Shelly. Farrell always comes off as a great guy.
7) In 1962, the year this song was popular, is also the year Jack Nicklaus began his successful pro golf career. Do you enjoy playing golf? Watching it on TV? No. Golf is fun to play. Watch others do it? Tempting, but no.
TWO Random Questions (especially for Harriet):
8) A 2013 study said most Americans will have 12 romantic relationships in their lifetime. Does this mean you’ve had more or less than your share? This will shock the shit out of you, but more than 12. A lot more.
9) It’s closing time at the mall and you find yourself accidentally locked in a toy store. You call the police and they say someone will be there in about half an hour to rescue you. While you wait, will you play with any toys? (If so, which ones?) I think I’d be on my iPhone. I can’t even imagine playing with the fucking toys. But hey, you never know.
It was good to do Sat-9. We may return with Stealing. We may not. Keep your computer tuned. Same time. Same blog.