Thanks to The Gal for authoring this meme. Click on the Sat-9 title of song on the next line below to play.
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) This song was inspired by a note WHAM! partner Andrew Ridgeley left for his parents. He accidentally wrote “go” twice. What was the last handwritten note you left for someone? It probably was to Kathy, but I don’t really remember. I do occasionally write down the tape number and date for whoever is hosting our WTIT session.
2) Born Georgios Panayiotou, George Michael was the son of the Greek restauranteur in East London. When you think of Greek cuisine, what comes to mind? Things wrapped in grape leaves. In a previous life, we belonged to a four-couple dinner party that the host picked the country and did the dinner. Someone else did apps and desert. I remember enjoying the Greek food. It was strange because I never thought I liked it because I hate feta cheese and oil. I can’t cook so every meal was clouded in mystery to me. Although I am sure I said at some point that night that it was “all Greek to me”.
3) He was a terrible driver and admitted his license was suspended a number of times. Have you ever lost your license? I thought I’d share a moving personal story. Then I thought – who reads this shit? So I looked it up. 50 people have read this post before I changed it. But truth be told, I’ve never passed out on a bar like this guy. But I don’t drive drunk. That is fucking stupid.
4) WHAM! partner Andrew Ridgeley, on the other hand, is a talented driver who got to live his fantasy by racing Formula Three in Monaco. There are companies that sell racetrack driving experiences that allow you to spin around the track at dizzying speeds. Is this something you like to try? Not at gunpoint.
5) In 1990, Frank Sinatra famously gave George Michael advice. Ol’ Blue Eyes told the younger man to enjoy his fame, to remember all those lean nights traveling from gig to gig by bus and, now that he’s successful, “loosen up and swing, man.” Who last gave you advice? Did you take it? My dad used to give the best advice. Man, do I miss him.
6) Mr. Michael’s neighbors have reported since his passing that he seemed to live rather quietly, and that they usually saw him when he was out walking his three dogs. Tell us about the last time you spoke to one of your neighbors. We have a neighbor who threw loud parties and had kids out of control. He was yelling out his door for his kids and when they returned he was yelling “What the fuck were you thinking?” I never mind people who swear (they are just words) and I really liked the guy who had left this family before drunk country music guy moved in. So I yelled something like “nice mouth with children” and we started yelling at each other. I stopped and walked over. I could tell the dude thought I was gonna take him out. (Kind of funny. I was 64 and he was a thirty-something. That wouldn’t have lasted long) but I stuck my arm out for him to shake. We had a nice chat. I have never heard his yelling or music again. That was over a year ago.
7) Fansites tell us that George Michael’s favorite cereal was cornflakes. What breakfast cereals are currently in your kitchen? Raisin Brand.
8) In 1984, when “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go” was popular, Murder, She Wrote premiered on CBS. Today it’s still seen in reruns all over the world. Are you a fan? Nope, but my mom is. I buy her the books for gift occasions.
9) RANDOM QUESTION: What’s your secret to a good night’s sleep? Xanax.
We should be back with Stealing. You never know. Instead of writing and scheduling memes ahead for months like the Gal does, we just see if I even remember. I try to write on Tuesday, but here it is Friday and I just finished it. I had to make it good considering last week’s disaster. We hope life is good in your neck of the woods. Hope to see you tomorrow. Same time. Same blog.