Thanks to The Gal for authoring this meme. Click on the Sat-9 title of song on the next line below to play.
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) This song refers to “leaves of brown.” Can you see any leaves outside your window? What color are they? Green. It’s not easy to be green.
2) It also mentions whispered words of love. What did you say last time you lowered your voice? It was in 1999. I whispered, “Holy shit. I think your husband is home!”
3) Clearly this song is about a treasured romantic memory that took place in autumn. Think about your favorite romantic memory. In what season did it take place? Fall cuz I “fell” in love. I know that sucked but, it’s all I got.
4) This week’s featured artist, Julie London, was famous as a singer and actress. Less prominent in her bio is her appearance as a “pin up girl” in Esquire magazine when she was just 17. What’s in your resume that you’d prefer to de-emphasize or gloss over? I haven’t looked at it in over a decade. But in round terms I’d say most of it.
5) Julie recorded more than 30 albums and was named “most popular female vocalist” by Billboard magazine in 1956. If you could see any entertainer — male or female — in concert, who would you choose? The Boss. I’m surprised that I haven’t. Although, concerts hold little for me. Although I saw Paul recently and Peter Frampton & Cheap Trick (together) last summer. Next weekend I’m seeing Foreigner at a concert my wife got VIP tickets for. I love the band but when they change singers I call it a tribute band. No Lou Graham? No Foreigner. But I’m sure I’ll enjoy it.
6) She became well-known to another generation when she appeared in the 1970s TV show
Emergency! The younger actors credited her for keeping everything calm on the set. Who has a calming influence on you? That would be my lady, my wife. My dad used to and my friend Harvey can at times. When I was really shook up over my second divorce Harvey said, “You were married less than three years. You knew her less than four. She’ll be a blip on your life’s story.” He wasn’t 100% right, but very close. And the words help a lot.
7) Her Emergency! costar was her husband, Bobby Troup, and the show was produced by her ex-husband, Jack Webb. Do you have an ex that you’re on very good terms with? Most of my ex-girlfriends are happy to hear from me. My ex-wives? Not so much.
8) Julie was a chain-smoker since she was a teenager and in the 1950s recorded a jingle for Marlboro cigarettes. Yet in the 1970s, when she saw Bobby Troup’s health negatively effected by smoking, she pressed him to quit. Tell us about a time you found yourself in a “do as I say, not as I do” situation. I raised four kids. So, I did that a lot.
9) Random question: You have won an all-expenses paid trip to an exclusive resort in the Hawaii. When you get there, you discover that the private beach is bathing suit optional. Do you swim nude? Yes. At my age, who gives a shit? Although I did streak through Kathy’s TV set once. She left it in but edited out frames where you could actually see anything. Women wrote to her that they super-slow mo’d it and were frustrated. I reacted, “They slow mo’d it to see a sixty-something’s junk? Holy fucking shit.”
We should be back with Stealing unless we get a better offer. See you then. Same time. Same blog.