Thanks to The Gal for authoring this meme. Click on the Sat-9 title of song on the next line below to play.
Saturday 9: Hello (2015)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) This video begins with Adele and her flip phone. Is your cell phone a simple or a smart phone? It’s been a smart phone for a long time, a decade I would guess. I remember seeing an original iPhone that a customer bought. I thought “Who’d need these features? I do have a computer after all.” But then I was offered one as an upgrade after whatever mobile company had it first. I know it wasn’t Verizon, since I’ve had them since 2004 at least.
2) As soon as her cell is fully charged, Sam disconnects the adapter from the outlet to save electricity. Are you careful about conserving energy? I try to be. I joined Northeast Utilities (now Eversourse) in 2000 as a marketing person in energy conservation. I didn’t enter “green” but I have been green ever since.
3)Adele sings that she must have a called a thousand times but her former lover never picked up. Think about the last call you made. Did you get through? Did you leave a voice mail? Or did you just hang up? I got through. Johnnie Walker texted me and I called him last night. He’s lived in Colorado over a year now. Next year is WTIT’s 50th birthday and I told him again that we (he four current recording DJs) would pay to have him flown out for it. He started to cry. He finally said, “I love you guys…”
4) Adele brews a cup of tea in the video. How often do you drink tea? Year round? Only in winter? Never? Never.
5) Adele told Glamour magazine she like two sugars in her tea. Do you watch your sugar intake? No.
6) This song is about reaching out to someone and extending an apology. When is the last time you said, “I’m sorry?” It was to my wife about something. At WTIT we did a bit on that subject once. It was: “If you want a relationship to work you need to know the 6 magic words, “I’m sorry, my fault, you’re right”. I found that it’s true in sales as well.
7) Adele was a heavy smoker who enjoyed the habit and didn’t quit until 2015, after doctors convinced her it contributed to her chronic throat problems. What’s something you know you should do for your health? I certainly could eat better. I would have said “Stop drinking” a year ago. In March I decided I needed to stop being a daily drinker. I haven’t had a drink during the week since. Some weekends I don’t do it either. The important part of it is this: Liquor used to control me. Now I’m in control.
8) Even though she is one of the world’s highest-earning entertainers, she recently had her credit card rejected while shopping at H&M. She admits she was “mortified.” Have you ever experienced that moment at the counter when your card was rejected? Of course and it sucks.
9) Random question: When you were a kid, did you keep a neat or messy bedroom? Neat. My mother was strict about that.
We will return for Stealing tomorrow. Enjoy your day. See you then. Same time. Same blog.