Thanks to The Gal for authoring this meme. Click on the Sat-9 title of song on the next line below to play.
I Dream of Jeannie Theme (1965)
1) Jeannie was memorably discovered on the beach in an ornate bottle. Have you ever brought a souvenir home from the beach? (It doesn’t have to be a genie. A shell or a stone will do.) I found a stone once but it wasn’t true so I threw it away and told it to go to shell.
2) Major Anthony Nelson, the man who released Jeannie from her bottle, was an astronaut. When you were a kid, did you dream of being an astronaut when you grew up? Not until Star Trek. I mean, I always loved Sci-fi, but it was with Trek and its optimism that grabbed me. I still didn’t want to be an astronaut, but I pictured myself in the Captain’s chair. It wasn’t until last year on the set of “Star Trek: New Voyages” that chance. I look forward to doing it again this year.
3) Upon discovering Jeannie, Major Nelson’s first wish was that she could speak/understand English so they could communicate. If you found a genie, what would your first wish be? To cure all disease and end hunger and war. Or the stuff you would have expected me to say.
4) Major Nelson’s best friend was fellow astronaut Major Healey. Where did you meet your best friend? He was the ex-boyfriend of my first serious relationship after my first marriage. That was over twenty years ago. The girl and I barely lasted a year, but he’s been around ever since.
5) This theme song was written by Hugo Montenegro, who is better known for the music he wrote for a pair of Clint Eastwood movies (The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and A Fistful of Dollars). Do you have a favorite Clint Eastwood movie? “Dirty Harry”.
6) The last episode of the series was titled, “My Master, The Chili King.” What ingredients make up your favorite chili recipe? The one where someone else makes it for you.
7) Jeannie was played by Barbara Eden, who was born in Tuscon, Arizona. Summer in Tuscon can get very hot, with the mercury often reaching 100º. What’s your favorite season? Spring. Romance is in the air and there’s another two whole seasons before winter.
8) Anthony Nelson was played by Larry Hagman, who went on to play the villainous JR on the popular Dallas. Can you think of anything else Dallas is known for? The fucking Cowboys. I’m so glad they suck now.
9) In the autumn of 1965, just weeks after I Dream of Jeannie premiered, St. Louis’ famous Gateway Arch was completed. An estimated 4 million tourists visit the Arch every year. Do you have any summer vacation plans? Besides the Trek thing, we have a “Dark Shadows” convention in June and my brother surprised me with four tickets to see Paul McCartney at Fenway Park in Boston in July. We do have a week off together in July, but have no plans yet.
Enjoy your day. Or night. That’s the trouble with writing, just as with Tape Radio, you know someone will read it or listen. But you know it’s in the future and you hope they laughed. I’m taking tomorrow off. Something tells me my Sundays are getting busier. Join us next time. Same time. Same blog.