Thanks to The Gal for authoring this meme. Click on the Sat-9 title of song on the next line below to play.
Saturday 9: Mama (2015)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) Gamal Lewis got the nickname “LunchMoney” in 10th grade because of his round cheeks and because lunch was his favorite part of the school day. What do you recall about lunchtime in the school cafeteria? How fast that we had to eat. If your homeroom was called first you had a half hour. If last, five minutes. I still eat very fast to this day.
2) His father and uncle were members of the band Inner Circle. Their song, “Bad Boys” was the theme to the reality show Cops. What reality show have you seen recently? Idol is my all-time favorite. We watch “Life or Debt”, “Bar Rescue” and “The Profit”. Fir the longest time I did not watch any reality shows, but “Bar Rescue” is sponsored by the same company whose products I sell. The other two are on the same network so their promos dragged us in.
3) In this song, Mr. Lewis sings that his mama taught him how to put on pajamas. What did you wear to bed last night? Sweats. It’s May in New England and 40 degrees at night. Snuggling only gets you so far.
4) He claims he can’t ever lie to his mama because she’ll hear it in his voice. Are you a convincing liar? Nope. (Or am I lying?)
5) LunchMoney sings that his mama made him chicken soup when he was sick. Do you eat soup all year around, only during winter months, or just when you’re battling a cold? None of the above. I only eat clam chowder (New England of course) and French onion soup and neither often.
6) The lyrics tell us that when her son was hungry, Mama reliably whipped something up. What’s the last food you prepared? I made omelets for Kathy a few weeks ago.
7) He also sings that his mama always made sure he had a few dollars in his pocket. Let’s talk about you and money. Did you more recently lend or borrow it? Lent it. And by that I mean gave it. You do not lend money if you cannot afford to lose it. When I do I tell the person that I will never bring it up. That’s because my dad taught me that if you are going to do something, do it graciously. I lent $5,000 to Harvey Wallbanger to open an exhibition of his art. It flopped big time. Five years later when he visited he brought me a check. He asked why I never even brought it up. I told him what I’ve just shared with you.
8) Mother’s Day is for grandmothers, too. Sam grew up calling her grandmother “Grandgran.” Did you have a nickname for your grandmother? “Gram”. In the 70s I kidded “Call herf ‘Gram” as in hash brownies…”
9) To celebrate Mother’s Day, Sam is giving away her own mother’s favorite candy: Hershey Bars. Would you prefer milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or milk chocolate with almonds? Dark. I’ve lost a lot of weight over the past two years and weigh what I did in college. When I gave up alcohol I knew I’d lose a lot more if I wasn’t proactive. So I have a daily milkshake (In New England that includes ice cream) and use Hersey’s dark chocolate syrup with vanilla ice cream. They call it a “Black & White”. I know it’s a bitch to hear someone who has to eat not to lose weight. I’m thinking it’s a “getting older than dirt” thing.
Have a great day. I will tell you of my trip to San Diego tomorrow. Enjoy your day.