Thanks to Gal for authoring this meme. Click on the Sat-9 title of song on the next line below to play.
Saturday 9: The One You Love (1982)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
In memory of Glenn Frey (1948-2016).
1) In this song, Glenn explores one of the great romantic conundrums. This week, Saturday 9 is confronting it, too. If you had to choose, would you prefer to be loved, or to be in love? Neither. I’d rather be in lust. I’d love the type of woman who’d say, “You wanna go to a strip club and pick up a third for a threesome? I’m not sure if Glenn meant that in his songs. But I am sure that he had his share of threesomes.
2) The song describes an awkward moment: an old boyfriend calls when a woman is on a date with someone new. To whom did you last say, “I can’t talk now?” Man do I have a great response to that, but I know not to tell. Why wreck somebody’s marriage for a meme?
3) The lyrics talk about heart vs head. When you find yourself in that predicament, which usually wins — heart or head? It depends on what you mean by “head”. If you mean getting it, than that wins. Really ask the guy your with the question: When you were single would you rather fall in love on a given evening or get head?” Bet on how many say “fall in love…”
4) This song was from Glenn Frey’s solo album, No Fun Aloud. What fun stuff are you looking forward to this weekend? It was supposed to be Christmas. My kids couldn’t do it in December (my daughter and family did a cruise) so was going to be today (Saturday), but the storm will hit NJ hard and my daughter and her family do not want to drive out of there. So I have no plans.
5) Glenn Frey was born in Royal Oak, a suburb of Detroit. The Motor City is known for car manufacturing. Is your car domestic or foreign? Domestic.
6) The popular 1990s sitcom Home Improvement was set in Royal Oak. Are you handy around the house? Ha! No. I always have to have ‘a guy’ or ‘a gal’. I have a hot housekeeper who cleans, a hot twenty something that mows grass and plows snow and a handy guy who does plumbing and carpentry.
7) Glenn Frey co-founded The Eagles in 1970. What’s your favorite Eagles song? “Already Gone”.
8) The Eagles helped define “California Rock,” but in recent years Glenn and his wife lived in Tribeca. Have you ever been to New York? If so, did you like it? Since New York is a border state, yes – lots. Many Yankees games and Big East Basketball Tournaments. So, yes I like NY.
9) Glenn wrote “Smuggler’s Blues” and “You Belong to the City” for the iconic 1980s TV show, Miami Vice. What else comes to mind when you think of the 80s? Crisco parties. Not that I went to any, but a friend told me some wild stories about them.
Hope all is fantastic in your corner of the universe. We will return. Join us. Same time. Same blog.