Thanks to Gal for authoring this meme. Click on the Sat-9 title of song on the next line below to play.
Saturday 9: Stay With Me (2014)
… because Kwizgiver suggested it
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) Sam Smith explains that this song is about just not wanting to wake up alone. How about you? Are you comfortable being by yourself? Great timing here. I lived alone for a dozen years between two ill-fated marriages. So I’m very comfortable alone. But I do prefer to be in a relationship to not. However, a good friend pointed out that I am a bit vulnerable right now. I’m not sure that she is right, but I always listen to advice.
2) Last year a lawsuit filed by Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne, who maintained that “Stay with Me” was really just “I Won’t Back Down.” Petty and Lynne won. Have you ever served on a jury? No. I’ve been picked to serve at least three times but each time I was on the list of “not chosen” and did not have to actually serve. Petty & Lynn were right. Both choruses are note for note the same. I like both songs.
4) Smith says his style was influenced by ladies with “massive voices,” including Adele, Amy Winehouse, Chaka Kahn, and Whitney Houston. Of those four, which do you listen to most often? It’s a tie between Winehouse & Adele. I’ve seen Chaka Kahn opening for Stevie Wonder once. She was great but I don’t own any of her music. Whitney had as good a voice as I’ve ever heard. I do like her but she’s not someone we’d play on WTIT now. We did play her a lot during the 80s.
5) Speaking of style, Mr. Smith is a smart dressed man who looks comfortable and dapper as he walks the red carpet in a tux. Do you enjoy getting dressed up for special occasions? No. But I do own a tux. It was a wedding gift from my fiancé at the time. The tux was one of the good things that came out of that marriage.
6) “Occasions” is a word that makes Crazy Sam stumble because she can never remember how to spell it correctly. Are you a good speller? No. I always thought spell check on computers was invented for me. It has actually improved my spelling.
7) Sam Smith was born on May 19, which makes him a Taurus. When did you last check your horoscope? I have no idea. It’s not the type of shit that I’m into.
8) Tauruses are supposed to be reliable, organized and ambitious. Do any of those three adjectives describe you? Yes.
9) Random question: Look at the floor. Do you see carpet, rug, hard wood or tile? Rug. Do I win a prize?
I’ve had people reach out for me upon hearing the news of my third marriage’s finale. It’s always good to have friends. I will say that I’m already sick of the “would you take her back if…” question. My most honest take is no. We went through this before and it’s a “fool me twice” situation. Other than arranging for her to pick up that reel-to-reel tape recorder, we haven’t chatted in a couple of weeks. I know we are done. Do I expect her to come back at some point to ask me to get back together? Yes. Why? Because she did that before as well. So this time, if I’m right, I will say no. There is nothing left unsaid. And let’s face it, there is something wrong with a person who keeps running away. She has done that her entire life. I wish her well, but the rest of my journey will be either alone or with someone else.
I had a good chat with a couple of former WTIT DJs. Johnnie Walker called to see how I was holding up and Harvey Wallbanger just wanted to check in. Bouncing Billy, in the meantime, has asked me to set up another visit with Gypsy. They were best friends for a long time as we grew up. I contacted Gyps through Facebook. I asked if he was free this month. He asked me to check back, wait for it, in February. I responded that it would kill that midnight swim we had planned. He responded by asking me why we needed to swim. I almost pissed in my pants. This is someone that I too grew up with. I met him in fourth grade. How he did not get my quip, I’ll never know.
We will do this again. Check back. Same time. Same blog.