Thanks to Gal for authoring this meme. Click on the Sat-9 title of song on the next line below to play.
… because Dianna suggested it
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
2) There’s a statue of Freddie in Switzerland. There’s another statue of him above the Dominion Theater in London. Tell us about a statue or memorial in your town. We’ve got one of hometown hero Jenna Jameson. She’s very deep.
3) Mercury said this song was inspired by Elvis Presley. What’s your favorite Elvis song? Hound Dog. I really I’m not a huge fan. I mean I like the music but I think from a musical perspective he was a light weight. Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Buddy Holley and like played real rock. But give him his due. Our parents related to him because the popularity reminded them of Frank. His impact on rock was huge in terms of acceptance.
4) This song was covered by the animated Alvin and the Chipmunks. Do you still watch cartoons? No. Unless you count an occasional “Family Guy” episode. I don’t watch them a lot, but I do get a big kick out of the absurdness of it all.
5) The members of Queen met while attending Ealing Art College in London. Are you still in touch with the friends you had in your late teens and early 20s? Ha. I guess so. While the most important aspect of WTIT was the morphing. And by that I mean that over the years only Johnnie Walker and I saw all the guys come and go. But in a “goes around comes around” way, in 2013 Billy returned from
the original staff. That prompted us to visit with Gypsy whose health prohibits his return. Gary, another original guy returned for a night in 2014. So yes, my friends from high school are still part of my world. I grew up with the guys of WTIT. In college my high school friends were more important. And that probably explains my lack of touch with the college friends. College no so much. I’ve got a couple of them on Facebook but we don’t even phone.
6) During Queen’s hey day in the 1980s, Mercury stayed in shape with tennis and swimming. Are you more accomplished on the court or in the pool? The court nada. I was a good swimmer growing up. But I haven’t done it for years. Except for maybe the breast stroke.
7) In 1980, when this song was popular, Brooke Shields made a jeans commercial where she said, “Nothing comes between me and Calvins.” It actually only aired for a short time because so many viewers called and complained about it. Have you ever called or emailed to protest something you saw on TV? No. That’s why you can change channels. To think your sensibilities need to be satisfied is really arrogant.
8) 1980 is also the year the Post-It note was introduced. What’s the last Post-It you wrote? I put a post it note (facsimile) on WTIT.net to announce or next session. If you’ve never checked out the site, give it a try. You might find it interesting.
9) Random question: Do you blush easily? Me? Really? No.
I’m off to see my Aunt Helen. She lived with us as kids and is the only sibling of my mom’s six to make it to her nineties. I think I mentioned that she doesn’t have long. I almost numb from events of the last six months. While I agreed with the reasons that my wife left, it is still an adjustment. I do know that I’ll have to get back in the game. Have a spectacular weekend! See you back here.
Same time. Same blog.