Thanks to Gal for authoring this meme. Click on the Sat-9 title of song on the next line below to play.
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) Lesley Gore premiered this song on an episode of Batman. She played Pussycat, the protegee of Catwoman. (That explains her outfit in the video.) How many of Batman’s nemeses can you name? Trivia Pursuit hits Sat-9. I’ll go with four. You can read the names on everyone else’s question one response.
2) At least five actors have played The Caped Crusader already (Adam West, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Christian Bale) and Ben Affleck will play him in 2016’s Batman vs. Superman. Who is your favorite Batman? (If any Batmen were inadvertently omitted, Sam apologizes.) Adam West. The lack of one actor doing a series of films makes no one stand out. Other than Oceans 11, 12, 13, what hit movies had Clooney had? Check it out. From the New York Post: “From “One Fine Day” (1996) to “Batman & Robin” (1997) to “Solaris” (2002) to “Intolerable Cruelty” (2003) to “The Good German” (2006) to “Leatherheads” (2008) to “The Men Who Stare at Goats” (2009) to “The Ides of March” (2011) to “The Monuments Men” (2014), if Clooney was the main attraction, the movie was somewhere between a disappointment and a flop.” The only other hit he had was “Perfect Storm”. His best work was in “E.R.”
3) Unlike most superheroes, Batman doesn’t have any superpowers. This Saturday, you’re more fortunate. We’re bestowing any superpower on you that you want. Which would you like? When I was a kid I wanted X-Ray vision to be able to see girls naked. Now that I’m older and more mature I’ll stick with that answer.
4) Though she’s singing of warm California nights, Lesley Gore was a New Yorker, born in Brooklyn and, in February of this year, dying in Manhattan. Which coast have you spent more time on, the West Coast or the East Coast? East. The only time I was in California was in 1995 when a rock station flew me out to offer me a job. I saw San Francisco in a “whirlwind 48 hour tour”. My son James has been in San Diego since 2006. We have yet to arrange a visit. It still will happen. I’ve been to Vegas a few times.
5) Not many people know that while she was making records, Lesley was also a student at Sarah Lawrence and graduated with her BA in 1968. What’s something we would be surprised to know about you? I am about to be single again.
6) In 1967, when this song was popular, the best selling new camera in the United States was the new Polaroid Swinger. Think about the most recent photo you took. Did you use a camera, a tablet, or a phone? In my job I use both an iPhone & iPad to take pictures of displays. I used both yesterday.
7) The big fashion trend of 1967 was bright tights, in shades like Hot Pink, Shock Orange and Grass Green. Tell us about something you wore when it was trendy but now you look back and think, “Oh, God, that was awful!” I don’t think “awful”. I think it’s a neat nostalgia. I hated Austin Powers but loved the clothes.
8) In 1967, drivers complained about “gas wars.” The price was unpredictable and would rise and fall, day by day, as much as 30¢ per gallon. How much does it cost you to fill up your tank today? You are way off on gas wars. You are SO young. In the 60s the price was under 40 cents a gallon. It was the Summer of Love. Jefferson Airplane. The Loving Spoonful. The Stones. And as Johnny Rivers sang, “All summer long we spent dancin’ in the sand, and the jukebox kept on playin’ “Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band”. The gas wars started during Gerald Ford and then Jimmy Carter’s days in the White House. It costs me about $40 now.
9) Random question: Are there dishes in your kitchen sink right now? I have no idea. My soon to be ex just brought me pancakes. My guess is that there is shit in the sink.
I’ve certainly had an interesting ride in the last six months. I lost my dad. My best friend who has recorded at WTIT since 1968 is moving to Colorado. And now to make it more interesting, we are divorcing. No arguments. No other people involved. My accountant has left the firm and doesn’t return my calls. He fucked up both my state taxes in Massachusetts and Connecticut. He’s been with me since the late 70s. It’s a first. Other than this, it’s been pretty boring. As far as this blog goes, I will enjoy bringing back “bad boy Bud”. I now have to meet my neighbors so I can sleep with the wife. Keep it tuned. We’ll return. Same time. Same place. I’m fine. Peace & love!