Thank you Allison for hosting Sunday Stealing. to join in click here.
1. YOU HAVE 10 BUCKS AND NEED TO BUY SNACKS AT A GAS STATION. WHAT DO YOU GET? How does anyone “need a snack”? I mean I’ve been hungry and needed lunch and the like, but I never “needed” a snack. Don’t get me wrong, (with all due respect to The Pretenders) I sometimes enjoy a snack, but I could go months without a snack or a desert.
2. IF YOU WERE REINCARNATED, WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU WOULD BE? I think you’d have to believe in reincarnation first and foremost. I stated during my dad’s eulogy: “My dad was an atheist. Me, I was raised Catholic but since I was about 14 I’m just an agnostic. One night before going to Apricot’s where he was going to sing he said that we were both atheists. I reminded him I was not. He laughed and said, “An agnostic is an atheist who just won’t commit.” I replied, “Atheists are like Catholics. You both think you have all the answers.” He roared. He said, “That’s a good one”. Today as I stand here I must admit that I hope we both were wrong. I hope I go to heaven and find dad at the piano bar.
3. WHO’S YOUR FAVORITE REDHEAD? Lucy. And I mean the character she played as in “Lucy In Connecticut”. Not the mean persona that was so controlling with her children and husbands. I would not have lasted a week with her regardless.
4. WHAT DO YOU ORDER WHEN YOU’RE AT AN I.H.O.P. OR BREAKFAST PLACE? Well let’s see. IHOP serves all three meals. And come to think of it, so does our local Connecticut diner. I order one or two things when out to breakfast: Eggs Benedict or Eggs, Sausage links, bacon and English Muffins.
5. LAST BOOK YOU READ? How about the last that I started? I’m not much of a book reader. But a Washington Post columnist named John Feinstein got a radio show on Sirius with Bruce Murray. I thought that John was the most interesting host that I’ve heard in a long time. He wasn’t at Sirius long. As soon as CBS started a sports radio network, they stole both John and his minions. He wrote many sports books including a Bobby Knight story named “A Season on the Brink”. Since I spent 20 years in radio, I seldom write “fan letters”. But John had such a fresh and interesting look at sports, I felt he was “Must Hear Radio”. He was fired after two years. When he wrote a book about life in the minor leagues for baseball called “Where Nobody Knows Your Name”, I immediately bought a copy. The he announced a book tour. His closest spot was over an hour from me. So I wrote him an email on Facebook and sent it to him. I asked when his next/first visit to my town would be. He wrote me back that if I sent it to him that he’d sign it. So, as a man of his word John got it, signed it and sent it back to me.
6. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED? It was a really bad one that we did not finish. I’d look it up, but then you’d know and you might watch it!
7. DESCRIBE YOUR FAVORITE PAIR OF UNDERWEAR. Really? I grew up wearing tidy whiteys. In the middle of the 20th century 90s, I switched to colors. I now ware boxer briefs.
8. DESCRIBE THE LAST TIME YOU WERE INJURED. I turned an ankle badly on a weekend I had mega plans. On the Saturday former WTIT DH The Cosmic Commando’s daughter got married. Then on the Sunday my son Ben and I watched Jeter’s last game. It was at Fenway Park. My brother got me 3rd row seats near the Red Sox dugout.
9. IF YOU COULD INVENT ONE THING, WHAT WOULD IT BE? Something that would make all my devices work all the time. I’m great now at fixing them and such, but I’d rather have “a guy” that fixed stuff at my home. He’d come as soon as we called. Oh what fantasies!
10. ROCK CONCERT OR SYMPHONY? Rock all day and all of the night…
11. WHAT IS THE WALLPAPER ON YOUR CELLPHONE? It’s a Milky Way rendering.
12. FAVORITE SODA? I’d drink my Diet Coke & it would win by quite a lot.
13. FLAVOR OF PUDDING? I don’t do sweets. Long ago I decided to make certain choices about my diet. Sweets lost big time. I do still love them, but I don’t buy them.
15. ANY BUTTONS OR BLINKIES IN YOUR SIDEBAR? Tons.
16. HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE ON YOUR BLOGROLL? Lots.
17. WHAT’S THE LAST PIECE OF CLOTHING YOU BOUGHT? Socks. Not very sexy but it’s the truth. I was at my favorite Dollar store. I buy my reading glasses there, because let’s face it: You forgot them. You sit on them. You lend them and all that stuff. When you buy them for $1 (unlike, say, CVS where they’re closer to $20) you just don’t worry about them.
So where are we? We did the pilot for our new You Tube TV show, “A DJs’ Take”. I really had no interest in the project when it was presented. It’s my wife that has 3000 subscribers. She is fantastic on it and is making money from ads and sent a ton of makeup. I left the blog world to avoid these types of commitments. But I agreed to do a pilot. I recognize that I need some time to both develop my TV persona and get comfortable in my “own skin”. It hasn’t been that long since I worked in TV and both starred in them and even wrote commercials myself. But like anything else, it’s a process. Please watch it. If you have criticism or suggestions PLEASE either comment there or send me an email. Meanwhile back at te ranch, I’ve planned Johnnie Walker’s farewell night (all but the stripper…my WIFE’S idea) which I will do tomorrow. I can’t say who will be there because Johnnie said he’d rather be surprised. We are currently at 4 DJs. Johnnie, Rock, Billy & me. Even though I could testify in court that Johnnie doesn’t read this blog, I won’t blow even the chance that someone else will tell him what I wrote. But so far, along with the current crew, we expect two more. I may have stated this before. But in the early years at WTIT, many guys “tried out” to be a DJ and a lot were given a chance.
On Gypsy’s first night (he had been at almost every recording night since we launched) he brought a guy (old friend of his…but not to us) who became “Johnnie Walker”. From that moment on, Johnnie was the constant besides me. He left with Bouncing Billy after my first wedding to tour the country. But when they reach Colorado, the traveling stopped. Johnnie got his license to teach people to ski. Billy wound up flying home because Johnnie refused to leave. But I think it was because he fell in love with the woman that was to become his wife. Three weeks into that relationship his college GF had planned a visit. Let me spare you all the details, but it was not the “Wild Weekend” as we’d all would help.