If you’re not familiar with today’s song, you can hear it here.
2) Ernie became famous on PBS’s Sesame Street. What public television shows do you watch? Nature. I’m an animal show freak.
3) When you were a little kid, what was your favorite TV show? Honeymooners & Dick Van Dyke. I cannot break the tie. Talk amongst yourselves.
4) On Sesame Street, Ernie frequently teases his best friend Bert by stealing his nose. Do you enjoy practical jokes? Not usually. But I dd a great one once. A co-worker named Cynthia helped me pull off the best practical joke I ever pulled at WPOP. It was Christmas time and our sales manager; Bob Lang took us out for lunch and drinks. Bob didn’t want the rest of the station to know about it, particularly his boss, Al Pellegrino. Now remember we still had pagers 20 years ago. So during the party I called Cynthia and asked her to page Bob. I said to just say this: “Bob, Al is really angry. He wants to know where you and the rest of the sales crew is.” I had to let someone know, so I let Tammy Rabbet in on it. Bob’s face went white when he read the page. He said “We are in BIG trouble.” At that point Tammy & I were rolling on the floor laughing. Bob turned to me and said, “You asshole.” What we didn’t know at the time was that Tammy would wind up marrying Bob. And we didn’t know that based on Bob’s recommendation that I would wind up as the sales manager at WPOP and Radio 104 when he left.
5) Sesame Street creators developed carefree Ernie and serious Bert to show children that different types of people can be good friends. Think about your closest friend. Tell us how you two differ. Pass on this one. I simply have more than one bestie and wouldn’t want one guy to misinterpret what I’m taking about. Not that I think they read this dribble. The WTIT Facebook page (facebook.com/wtitradio) yes, here, not so much.
6) Bert and Ernie share a basement apartment on Sesame Street. Tell us about the basement of the building you’re in right now. It houses my den and the current home of WTIT. That’s if you consider the first floor of a split-level a basement. I don’t, but I think that I’m on the wrong side of the issue. But I’ve made mistakes before. It’s why Kathy is wife 3.
7) Ernie and Bert were created by Jim Henson. In addition to being an accomplished puppeteer, Mr. Henson was also a talented cartoonist. Can you draw? Ha. No.
8) Jim Henson made his first puppets himself using felt, foam rubber, string and rods — all items that can be purchased at an arts and crafts store. When is the last time you shopped in an arts and crafts store? The next time will be the first.
9) When is the last time you took a bath (as opposed to a shower)? I had a wicked sprained ankle last week. And normally, we are not be active weekend people. But last weekend a former WTIT DJ and still great friend The Comic Commando’s (We call him Cos) daughter married. Cos is very well off and it was a huge affair. Kathy drove me and thanks to the “V” pill, I got through it. The next day I had third row seats to Derek Jeter’s last game at Fenway Park. My son drove and I made it through. Sprains are funny, I was in agony a week ago and I’m almost 100% a week later. Oh back to the fucking question. I almost did last week, but the next day I could shower.
I haven’t been around much. But then again for a blog I fucking retired, I’m around a lot. But I cut back to get WTIT back to regular recording. Now, we record in the odd numbered months. I’m going to do a podcast of our last recording. I picked the site, but haven’t done the work. Today I’m off to Boston to see my dad. We were asked the “do we just keep him comfortable” question this week. You have been through it know how you take that question. My sis is picking me up at 1. Hope your weekend is relaxing.