Thank you Allison for hosting Sunday Stealing. to join in click here.
01. First Celebrity Obsession or Crush: Haley Mills. I went through the blonde-blue eyed thing for a long time. After my first wife (in my late 30s) the first couple were blondes, but then it was brunettes or redheads for a decade. Then I met Kathy. Blonde and blue eyed. Go figure.
02. Favorite Celebrity Encounter: Huey Lewis. He was kind to wait until I tracked down a camera (1994 just before camera phones) for me to get a pick together.
03. Most Cherished Celebrity Obsession: Jill Hennessy. Shocking for you long time readers. It’s really just my crush on her character in “Crossing Jordan”.
04. A celebrity you’d love to hang out with: Paul McCartney. Need I say more?
05. A celebrity you’d love to sit down and have a conversation with: Alan Alda. Brilliant actor with a great mind.
06. An artist you’d like to see live: The Boss. I cannot believe I have not seen him yet.
07. A celebrity you respect purely for talent: Taylor Swift. I’m not into country, but I know how talented she is.
08. A celebrity you feel you’d be good friends with: Jimmy Smits. I got to respect in on “L.A. Law”. Then he joined my favorite show at the time, “N.Y.P.D. Blue”. His “Bobby Simone” was just the guy you’d like to be. Or know. At the time I felt that Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda were my favorite actors. What a treat it was when the were the stars together of the last season of “West Wing”.
09. A celebrity you dislike that others seem to love: Nikki Minaj (a trois)
10. A celebrity you respect for what they’ve been through in life: Bonnie Rait. I had to include her because we kissed once.
11. A celebrity you share a birthday with: Roseanne Barr.
12. A celebrity you find annoying: Roseanne Barr. I did learn to love her TV show after it ended. In 2003, I was sick for almost two years
13. Favorite under-20 celebrity: Sorry, beyond my reach. But if you care, in the “close” category I like the actors on “Finding Carter”, particularly the lead actress .
14. Favorite over-60 celebrity: Paul McCartney
15. The celebrity “fandom” that means most to you: Jimmy Buffett’s Parrot Heads. I love his music but never got into the whole worshiping shit. Two of my closest friends, Johnnie Walker & Rock Rolling, love Jimmy. That being said, I got into him after my first divorce from the album “Last Mango in Paris”. The album is all about relationships and I was going through both the end and the “starts”. My first serious GF after my first marriage was a bit strange. We broke up and made up a million times in a year. She thought she wanted kids and I had mine. Four was just right. On my last exit I gave her a copy of that CD. The next time I saw her (yes there were a few “next times”) she told me that she couldn’t believe that I gave her a CD of Buffett. “I hated him.” she said, “But I loved the album and you are right. It covers SO many aspects of being an adult single person…” I ran into her every now and then. In fact shortly before I met Kathy, I buzzed her to see what was going on in her life. I did that. My friend Harvey Wallbanger used to kid me. “I never saw anyone who knew anyone who could do that,” said a guy who has the luck of George Clooney with women. I explained that usually even in breakups, I was a good guy. (I must point out here that this does not work with my ex-wives. Not. At. All.) There were times (more than not) that we’d spend a night together, both physically and mentally revisiting what was. The funniest and least successful was with a lady named Linda. She was great and I broke up with her for a stupid reason. So a year later I thought I’d try. I called, “Hi Linda, how’s it going? I was thinking of you and I thought we could catch up.” There was this LONG awkward pause. I said, “I guess you’re not glad to hear from me…” She finally spoke, “It’s not that, Bud. It’s your timing is just SO terrific. I’m getting married tomorrow.” So against all that is right I asked, “Perhaps we could do it after the honeymoon.” She roared with laughter. I said, “Sorry to bother you.” She said, “Not at all. You could always make me laugh.” I ended with, “I wish you all the best. You deserve it…”
I haven’t said much about my dad because I haven’t seen him. He is in Boston which is a two hour drive. I’m off this week so I’ll go on Wednesday. The last time I saw him there he said, “Do you know how long it’s been since I was originally kidnapped?” I knew this all started last December but said, “How long?” He responded, “FIVE YEARS!!” I knew how he felt. It seems that long to me as well. We still do have great conversations and I miss him. Even this version. But I know that if in December he could see what the price was to stay alive longer the six months that doctors gave him with the heart valve replacement, he would not have done it. Six months still singing Louis Armstrong covers in his nightclubs beats the shit out of this. This valve was suppose to give him five years. Now they say he won’t make it a year. Hey, I’m not looking for sympathy. You guys have all been great. As I’ve said, I can only write to you about this. If I did this in Facebook, well, let’s just say this much honesty would not go well. And, really who wants to hear me whine? Please don’t feel compelled to comment on this crap. Rather the opposite.
In better news, my oldest grandchild turned 12 on Wednesday. She’s big into Dr. Who so Kathy and I gave her a Dr. Who something or other.
But what really touched me was what my daughter did. When she turned twelve I gave her a rater expensive sapphire ring. I was making a ton of dough then (which actually showed me what was wrong with my marriage when the $$ stopped). I had forgotten about the ring. Anyway, my daughter gave it to her on her twelfth. Now it was my granddaughter’s. I started to say, “When you have a daughter…” she interrupted me to say, “Then I’ll give it to her.” She is such a great kid. I mean they all are, but being the oldest and way ahead of me at times like this.
Her mother turns forty this Friday. If you think milestone birthdays make you feel old, it is nothing like this. I mean I was forty fucking yesterday! How did this happen??!! We were going to visit them this month but they are too busy. So we arranged it for October. I can’t wait. I haven’t seen them in a long time. In the meantime, Kathy’s brother & wife want to spend here for what they said would be a week. They live in Australia. Down under weeks must last 13 days, cuz that’s how long they’re stuff will be here. Kathy said in the past they latterly drop the shit off, let you buy them a dinner and then the not-so-long goodbyes. Obviously I have not met them. I know this is her favorite sibling. I just hope that he spends enough time with her to make all the planning & so forth worth it. Her family has a habit of disappointing her. He is (her siblings only what in my family called “half-skeys”) her half brother as are all her siblings. Her dad had a son and daughter from his first marriage and her mom had two sons from her first. I’ve met/know her Dad’s kids. I got to know her dad as well. Her mom had been gone a long time.
Have a great week! I will be on Vay-Kay doing nothing! Join us again. Same time. Same blog.