Thanks to Gal for authoring this meme. Click on the Sat-9 header directly below to play.
Saturday 9: All Night Long (All Night)
(because Lia asked for an 80s song)
If you’re not familiar with today’s song, you can hear it here.
1) This music video was produced by Mike Nesmith of The Monkees. Can you name a Monkees song? Yes. I can name a Tarzan song as well.
2) The song includes the foreign sounding phrases, “Oh jambali Tom bo li d, say de moi ya,” and “Oh, Jambo Jumbo!” Mr. Richie meant to include language indigenous to the Caribbean, but was writing the song under deadline and simply made those phrases up instead. Tell about the most recent time you cheated or “cut corners.” I’d rather tell you about another artist that roughly did the same thing. Al Green wrote “Ain’t No Sunshine”. He put in that part “I know… I know… I know…” until he wrote more lyrics. He too never got around to it and the record company liked it the way it was.
3) Richie was a frat boy at college. Kappa Kappa Psi, to be exact. Were you a member of a fraternity or sorority? No. I went to school during the Vietnam War. Frats were considered too square and just for conservatives or jocks. Johnnie Walker (fellow WTIT DJ) joined one, but he went to school in the South. He called WTIT “Tao Iota Tao” or something like that. I do believe WTIT replaced that for us. Speaking of which, I just got everyone’s commitment for out September recording. More on that during my sign off.
4) When this song topped the charts (September 1983), Vanessa Williams became the first African American to be crowned as Miss A
merica. Do you watch beauty pageants? Tempting, but no. I did as a kid, but only because we only had one TV and the three network stations, so if the folks wanted to watch it, you had to.
5) Since it’s Labor Day weekend, that holiday established to celebrate the American worker, let’s talk about the workplace. Tellers work in a bank, actors work on a stage or a set, auto workers work on an assembly line. How would you describe your workplace? While we technically have an office (just big enough for a conference room for meetings) my work place is liquor stores. I generally go to the same stores on the same days at the same times. The shit that goes on is unbelievable. Like, “Hi Doc. Welcome back to XYZ Liquors. Are you operating today?” Doc: “Yep. That’s why I need the nips to steady my nerves…”
6) An estimated 40% of us have dated a coworker. Have you ever had an office romance? Twice. The first was inappropriate since the woman worked for me and there was a marriage involved. It lasted a long time, however and I was young. The second was at a radio station in the 90s. When I broke up with her it caused unbelievable tension in the office. She never talked to me after that (we only dated a few months) and I was the last to know that she was marrying an ex-boss and was moving to D.C. They didn’t last, but who does? If Redford and Streisand couldn’t work it out… Although Bogie and Bacall lasted to the end. But he died young. I don’t believe that relationships last forever. Although I did tell Kathy at our age “forever” isn’t that long.
7) Labor Day is a big weekend for travel. How did you book your last vacation? (Online, through a travel agent, over the phone …) A travel agent? I mean I know there are some dinosaurs out there, but really? My last fly away type of vacations were to visit Harvey Wallbanger in Atlanta or to Vegas. I booked them myself.
8) Mother Winters won’t wear white again now until next Memorial Day. Sam thinks that’s just crazy. Where do you fall in this heated mother/daughter debate? I gotta side with Sam. I mean I was the one who made her up. The Gal gave her a mother. Mother Superior jumped the gun, as you know.
9) When you look at back on Summer 2014, what will you remember? Not much. We were not able to get away. Kathy never gets a vacation since she’s a jumper as far as jobs go. I did spend a weekend with my son Ben and granddaughter Zoey. Ben and I went to The House That George Built. (The new Yankee Stadium)
Back to the upcoming recording for WTIT. The Midnight Plowboy, who returned in 2012 after a 17 year break, has been AWOL so far in 2014. He last recorded in November. He’s returning, and I’m not telling anyone. Surprises are cool. Although since Rock is his brother he might know. But even that is not a guaranty since Midnight disappears even from him – no calls or emails. I think it’s only a “he hates to tell someone ‘no’” kinda thing. The Cosmic Commando’s daughter is getting married. Cos recorded with us from 1985 to 1990 and a guest spot in 1997 for our 30th Anniversary. His first recording was what we thought was Bouncing Billy’s last. I always thought of Cos as replacing Billy. I would have never guessed that Billy would return to active duty in 2013. Anyway, I was always close to Cos’ daughter. When I used to call him she would insist on talking with me. She is almost a year younger that my youngest daughter. Kathy and I are looking forward to going. The only other WTIT DJ attending is Johnnie Walker. We will return. Same time. Same blog.