Thanks to Gal for authoring this meme. Click on the Sat-9 header directly below to play.
(recommended by Diana)
If you’re not familiar with today’s song, you can hear it here.
1) Eagles lead singer Glenn Frey proclaims that he’s “feeling strong.” How would you describe yourself this fine Saturday?
Connected. By that I mean about coincidence. My old friend, (and the first to join me recording our nonsense) Bouncing Billy, and I recently renewed our high school & college friendship that had ended in 1985. The reason I know the year is by looking up that he last recorded with us. When we spoke to set up this month’s recording date, we spoke about the new documentary Billy saw about The Eagles. It was a Showtime special. Billy like it so much that, since I don’t get Showtime was to buy a used copy on Amazon. With my credit card points I got it for nothing. That was Wednesday. And on this fine Saturday The Eagles fly again…
2) The song begins with a rumor: “I heard some people talking just the other other day …” Have you heard anything juicy/interesting lately? Please share! OK, you probably have not heard yet, but (shhhhhhhh) LeBron’s going back to Ohio.
3) When “Already Gone” was popular, the news was dominated by Richard Nixon and the Watergate scandal. What do you consider today’s top news story?
Where do I start? The bad economy. People are fighting wars over the way Europe divided the middle east after WWI. The US can’t stop getting into war. Both the Democrats & The Republicans both suck moose. Hillary. Enough said. I hate people saying “I want my country back.” It means essentially, “Get that black guy out of The WHITE House.”
Our original starting five. From left: Bouncing Billy, Gypsy, Galloping Gary, Bud Weiser & Johnnie Walker (From our first photo shoot in 1970. Shot by a guy named Chuck. © 1970-2014 by WTIT. All rights reserved.
4) In the 1970s, Eagles Glenn Frey and Don Henley were at the center of a social circle of very creative people, including singer Linda Ronstadt, singer-songwriter Jackson Browne and actor-comedian Steve Martin. How do you express your creativity? For the last 47 years I have recorded comedy and telling the stories of our lives from high school through grandchildren. I’ve recorded every conversation, every song we liked, who our wives were, who are girlfriends were and stories of our kids, our fears and our jobs.
5) Even though they broke up in 1980, the Eagles are currently on a reunion tour, and after knowing each other more than 40 years, Frey and Henley still consider each other friends. What quality to do you value most in a friendship? I think from everything I’ve said here today and if you make time for a relatively crazy thing that tells the story of what we do – check out our website WTIT.net, because then you’d realize that it’s all about friends and family to me.
6) Are there any mirrors in the room you’re in right now? I’m in our radio studio. I could listen back to this year’s recordings to get a few, but that would be beyond the scope of what WTIT is. When Billy rejoined us last year he asked why we didn’t post our entire sessions on the internet. I replied, “Would you want me to decide what stories of yours would be posted?” Someone suggested that if I edited the sessions, it would be fine. But I said, “How could I know your sensitive areas?” Billy replied, “You’re a smart man.” I stated, “No, but I’ve thought about this…”
7) What’s the last beverage you drank with ice? Smirnoff on this Friday night.
8) Whole, skim, 2%, half-and-half, almond or soy … what kind of milk is in your refrigerator right now? 1%. Kathy hates anything but cream in her coffe, but I love milk, and 1% is my choice.
9) Sam likes to mix sliced almonds into her salad. What do you think makes a good salad? Give me a classic Caesar salad with anchovies and I’m good. I mean until the appetizers come…
I saw my dad today. He’s back at the assisted living place after his hospital & rehab stints. He’s only 10 miles from me so that’s great. But visits with a guy who thinks that he won billions on the stock market and tells you he’s filed a law suit against me & a zillion others (But don’t worry about it son…) can bring you down. When we talk Cubbies’ baseball or UConn basketball all is good in the world. Sorry that I haven’t been around much, but my world is a bit crazy. This weekend I can will chill. Next weekend I spend time with my son Ben, wife Maria and my youngest granddaughter, Zoey. On Sunday we will go to THE house of baseball, Yankee Stadium. We know the team sucks, but what team wouldn’t if four of their five starters were out for the season? And that doesn’t even touch about letting Robbie leave for Seattle and thinking McCann & Beltran could fit the void. Hope things I your life are swell! And don’t forget out Facebook page at Facebook.com/WTITRadio. If you haven’t “liked” it by now, exactly what are you thinking? Right, I could just “shut up & go away”. In fact fifty seven words from now then, I’ll be on my way. There might be something more important for you to do, but for the life of me, I cannot think about what. Love, peace & rock ‘n roll! Catch you down the long and winding road, my friends. At this Same Tape Radio blog. And as always, at the same time.