Thank you Allison for hosting Sunday Stealing. to join in click here.
TV Meme, part two
16. Talk Shows. Do you watch daytime talk TV? If so, do you prefer the calm shows like Oprah or the wilder side like Jerry Springer? No, I don’t watch it. I could say “work gets in the way” but that would only be true if I watched a show while it aired, which I usually don’t. Although since me lady me wife loves all things “24” I imagine she’ll get me to watch it as it airs. I Tivo everything. I’ll tell people about a great show and they’ll ask what day, time and network that it is on. I usually have no clue.
17. Which daytime talk TV show would you like to be on? What would the topic be? OK, stay with me here. Since I don’t watch, how would I fucking know?
18. Before talk TV took over game shows ruled the airways during the day, which do you prefer? Or are you a soap opera fan? The only soap I watch is the prime time “Dallas”. The show wasn’t great when we had the old conniving J.R. back. Since Hagman passed away the show sucks moose. Both Kathy and feel this way but it’s like a train wreck, we can’t turn away. “Jeopardy” is my favorite game show. I’ll take “Famous Blowjobs” for $500, Alex.
19. Is there a game show (past or present) you think you would do really well on, as a contestant? No. I’d be too nervous. I’d make a great host, however. There would have to be naked women involved, however. So HBO it is.
20. Who is your favorite game show host? Who is your least favorite? Regis Philben is the best, imo. I never cared for Bob Parker, although the dude knew beautiful
21. Marathons. Have you watched any TV marathons? In part? In whole? Is there a show you’d like to see run an all day marathon? On the flip side is there a show you’d avoid in marathon? I create marathons to watch, between Netflix & Amazon Prime I receive complete seasons to most shows. I’ve watched, say, a couple of Twilight Zones shows during a marathon. I’ve never watched a whole marathon. I couldn’t even make it through the “Debbie Does Dallas” and its 24 sequels. “NYPD Blue” was the most recent.
22. Out of curiosity, what’s the longest you’ve ever watched TV in one stretch? Probably around eight hours, because I love TV.
23. On the whole do you feel most Special Reports are really that special? Or are they simply annoying? What special report has effected you most? (IE: (9/11, Reagan being shot…etc) This is as strange a question that a meme has asked. My favorite tragedy? Man, we’ve hit a new high in lows.
24. What is the (pick one: stupidest, saddest, silliest, most disgusting..) thing you’ve ever seen on TV? The most disgusting thing that I’ve seen was a movie that I watched with Johnnie Walker. It was called “The Human Caterpillar”. It was so disgusting that we couldn’t turn it off. If I even shared the concept, you’d probably hurl.
25. What’s your fondest memory of something on TV? The night that they killed off Henry Blake on M*A*S*H I cried. It was a perfect episode, so funny and touching and then they slapped us in the famous. Wars sucks. You heard it here last.
26. What’s the first show you remember watching regularly? “Lassie”, “My Friend Flicka” and “The Three Stooges” on Saturday morning TV.
27. What shows would make up a perfect night of TV viewing for you? In the 70s before VCRs it was Saturday night on CBS. “All in the Family”, “The Bob Newhart Show” , “Mary Tyler Moore” and the night ending with “The Carol Burnette Show” *ear job*
28. You get to create one show to put on the schedule, with any stars you choose. Who and what would it be? I’d love to see Jill Hennessy return to TV drama. On a side note: Jill’s first starring role was as Claire Kincaid on “Law & Order”. When they killed off her character, Angie Harmon replaced her. You who have been with us here on the Tape Radio blog know what a crush on her character Jordan Cavanaugh on “Crossing Jordan”. In “Crossing Jordan” Jill played an ME working closely with Boston PD. She was Irish and the first theme song was an Irish tune. Her father was a retired cop. (During its run, it was ripped off by “Bones”). But after the sow was cancelled, the entire concept: i.e. Set in Boston, Irish music, father a retired cop and the cast quirks were ripped of and became “Rizzoli & Isles”. Who stars in it? The same Angie Harmon who replaced her on “Law & Order”. One more thing: I wrote so much about the show that NBC’s ad agency contacted me and asked me to feature her more to help the show from not being canceled. Of course in those days I had about 500 readers a day. But the show wasn’t cancelled until the following season.
29. Canceling or Not. What show(s) would you cancel without a moment’s hesitation? Is there a show (previously canceled or just no longer airing) that you’d bring back, original cast and all? “Crossing Jordan”, “NYPD Blue”, “Star Trek” and a medical drama starring Alan Alda as Hawkeye.
30. What’s the best series finale you remember? I think they all tend to disappoint. “M*A*S*H was the worst. “Seinfeld” was decent. The best? “House”.
I took my Dad out to dinner at a piano bar last night. Everybody knows him wherever I take him. We fought before we left his assisted living home. My brother pays for everything but uses my Dad’s social security to help pay the nearly $5000 a month that this place costs. It has a restaurant. A bar with “happy hour” twice a week. Musical entertainment daily. He told my brother if he took another dime of “his money” he’d be arrested. I asked where he could live on $1500 a month. He said, “Not here”. This is already wearing me out. We’re back on Wednesday with “3 on Thursday”. Same fucking time. Same fucking blog.