Unfamiliar with this week’s song? Hear it here.
1) This song is about a friendship that turned romantic … and it doesn’t end happily. Have you ever crossed that line with a friend? If so, how did it work out? I can only remember a couple of women that were just friends. Almost all my female friends were people I had dated but “the spark” wasn’t there. Very few of my “girlfriend turned friend” worked out. Looking back I guess that they became friends of mine to hope that it would go back to romance. It never did. Usually with the addition of alcohol they made their play. And getting a guy to sleep with you isn’t very hard, but the next day when you tell them you’d like to remain “just friends” the fireworks exploded. I never knew how to respond to, “I thought that we got naked ‘cuz we were giving it another chance.” Oh, and never say, “Nah I was just drunk and horny.” That can get you hit. Or “I thought when were going to sleep you went down under the cover ‘cuz you lost a sock.” True story: After I broke up with the Dragon Lady, we tried to remain friends. (And its an email she sent to my then girlfriend/now wife is how she got her name.) I knew that she wanted more when we were chatting and she said that she’d like to try a threesome. I responded, “Tempting, but no.”
2) When he was a kid, this week’s singer, Alex Clare, listened to his dad’s Stevie Wonder records. When you were in 7th/8th grades, what music
were you into? Rock, pop and R & B. By 8th grade, The Beatles happened. I so remember listening to their first song and saying “I don’t know who this band is, but they are awesome!” It’s over 50 years later and they still rule.
3) “Too Close” has been featured on the TV show, The Vampire Diaries. Do you enjoy shows/books/movies about the supernatural? I’m not a Vampire guy. I did watch the Twilight movies because Kathy loves Vampires. She got into a soap opera with her mother growing up called “Dark Shadows”. It is also a Vampire thing. For Christmas I bought a box set (really a coffin full) of every episode. It retails for over $400. In October, my son Ben told me it was Amazon’s “Deal of the Day” and it was 55% off. I bought it on the spot and hid it. When Kathy opened it she was like a kid. A very happy little girl! Back to the question: I love all science fiction. “Almost Human”, “Revolution”, “Intelligence” and “Under the Dome” are my current TV faves. I’m bummed that the Noah Wiley series got cancelled.
4) Some of Alex Clare’s tour dates were sponsored by Bud Light. Do you like beer? No. I know the irony considering my name. All my friends drank beer from about age 14. I hated it, so I didn’t drink. The there was a party during my junior year of high school and some said try Smirnoff. I tried it. We’ve been good friends ever since.
5) Mr. Clare trained to be a chef, just in case the music thing didn’t work out. Are you a good cook? That would be an emphatic “no”.
6) Crazy Sam is forever running out of mayo because she slathers it on her sandwiches. What is currently on your grocery list? If I had one I’d tell you. If you actually care, email my wife. But watch her videos if you’re over forty and really would like help with makeup. Contact me and I’ll give you her YouTube address. She has nearly a thousand subscribers.
7) Where are you most likely to find spare change — between the sofa cushions, in your jeans as you toss them into the washer, or under the floor mat of your car? In my car. I throw it in a compartment for parking meters and toll booths for work.
8) How did you spend your Friday night — working late, hanging out with friends, or just enjoying a quiet night at home? Last night I watched myUConn Huskies beat Iowa State to advance to the Elite Eight. Not bad for a second year coach.
9) Do you use Pinterest? I consider this meme officially sexist.
My dad played for UConn and wore #7. My brother’s license plate is “UCONN 7”. He was their Captain. I have two scrapbooks full of articles about him from The Hartford Courant. My brother & I started going to the games in the 70s prior t both Jim Calhoun and The Big East. My bro is in NYC to watch UConn. One win from the final four… Join us again. Same time. Same blog.