Thanks to The Gal for hosting Sat-9! To play, click here.
|Dad & I
1)This week’s song was once named the favorite love song of Bud Wiser, the godfather to this humble blog. With Valentine’s Day coming up, what’s your favorite love song? How can I answer this? You’ve done it for me. Seriously, it always changes. At my age, getting drunk and screwing isn’t a great combo. I’ll go with Adele’s “Make You Feel My Love”.
2) When this song was first released back in 1973, the “Why don’t we get drunk and screw?” refrain was considered shocking. With the explicit sexual content in many of today’s songs, it now hardly raises an eyebrow. When is the last time you were shocked? (Not just by a song, by anything at all.) My dad is recovering from a heart procedure. He’s lost his appetite (he’s 88) and went from 175 lbs to 150lbs. He’s a bit confused and we had to steal his car to assure no driving. I am taking him out to sing tonight. I cried for him and it has been a long time since that’s happened. It’s all shocking to me, but his weight loss is shocking me the most.
3) Buffett named his first daughter Savannah, presumably after his favorite city. Tell us about your favorite city. Boston, Chicago, New York & Atlanta. I would have loved living in a big city. It only happened once. I was the sales manager at The Rock of Boston, WBCN.
4) Mr. Buffett opened a Margaritaville Casino in Atlantic City. Have you ever gambled in Atlantic City? What about Las Vegas? I’ve been to Vegas a couple of times. The last was with my son Ben for his stag 6 and a half years ago. Mohegan Sun is in Connecticut. Kathy and I spent Christmas night there in 2010. We just did video poker. I’m not much of a gambler.
5) Saving Florida’s manatees is a cause near and dear to Jimmy Buffett’s heart. If we were to make a $100 contribution to any charity in your honor, which would you choose?
That is a great cause because of the injuries that manates get from boats. At the moment fighting Alzheimer’s would be my choice.6) If today was your birthday, your astrological sign would be Aquarius. How often do you check your horoscope?
Close to never. I am not much of a believer of anything except The Beatles. It is the closest thing I have to a religion. I support all beliefs as long as you don’t try to tell me about yours.
7) On this date in 1974, the show Good Times (“Dy-no-mite!”) premiered and, much to Sam’s confusion and chagrin, still enjoys an audience in syndication. Tell us about a pop culture phenomenon that you just never got into.
Rap and hip hop. I really understand their allure, but for me alternative music is what speaks to me.
8) Is there a home improvement project on your list of things to do? After 10 back surgeries, no.
9) A warm-weather choice to consider on a February day: Ice cream sundae or banana split? I don’t eat much ice cream. That’s Kathy’s poison. Just pour me a Smirnoff, Ketel One or Ciroc and I’m good to go.
Sorry this wasn’t funny today. My oldest son Ben is coming over (from Boston) to take me out to lunch. Tonight I’m with my dad as he sings at a piano bar. I love Idol this season. Urban, JLo and Harry are terrific. The new format is great. It’s only one of two reality shows that I can handle. (“Bar Rescue” is the other one.) I’m sure that you’ve read that one of the original DJs, the one that I recorded the very first tape with, has return to the fold. His handle is Bouncing Billy and he had not joined us since 1985. He returned last year been and has been recording with us ever since. Peace & love. See you again. Same time, same blog.