Sunday Stealing: The Authentic Meme
1. How long have you been blogging? Since 2006. The blogosphere hasn’t imploded yet. I think.
2. Did you go to college? Emerson, in Back Bay near The Dirty Water of The Charles.
3. Where have you traveled? So far today, from the bedroom to the studio.
|They must think I’m his dad.|
4. Which celebrity do you get mistaken for? Women are constantly asking for my autograph. I never ask them who I think they think I am. I go with the flow…
5. What are your three biggest pet peeves? Being asked about pet peeves and two other things.
6. What is your favorite movie? Notting Hill. “I’m just a girl, standing in front of a boy…”
7. What is your drink of choice; wine, beer, or liquor. Or Water, Soda, Tea? Smirnoff. Although last night there was Ketel One involved. When we go out to dinner, that’s my poison.
9. What is your biggest phobia? That I will get further burned out here. While I know the reduction in players is because of social media now being preferred over blogs, the reduction of players is discouraging. There was a time Stealing got 70-80 players. Now it’s 25-30. I think that’s why all the newer memes start then go away. It’s hard to work on it with under 20 players. But I still miss Monday Mayhem, Thursday Thunks, Wednesday Wickedness and my lady’s R&R Fridays.
10. Share with us an embarrassing moment of your past? This is yet another episode of when I was single of my habit of dating incredibly weird women. And yes, it might be a case of “Some people claim that there’s a woman to blame, but I know it’s our own damn fault.” (©Jimmy Buffett)
There was a singles dance every Sunday in the Hartford area. On this night at the end of a busy night of dancing and enjoying myself, I saw the woman “of my dreams”, I thought. I gathered up the courage to walk over to meet her. (Okay, those who know me realize that this is a lie. I am very comfortable meeting people.) Our eyes met, she smiled, “It’s the last dance, would you care to join me?” She thought for a second and responded, “Yes. My name is Dawn”. I walked to her car, got her phone number, and made my exit, stage left.
I called Dawn on Tuesday. Phone numbers are like fruit. If you don’t use them quickly, they tend to rot. “Remember me, I met you two weeks ago” is a death call. There are easier ways to get shot down or commit suicide. Hara-kiri comes to mind. Dawn answered the phone and it was became obvious that she had a girlfriend over. To every question I asked she requested me to “Hold on.” Then Dawn would cover the phone before responding. “We need to meet somewhere,” Dawn insisted. I am never one to argue this point. It is a smart thing for a woman to do. Dawn’s friend insisted on this point, but neglected to make sure Dawn understood “why” to meet a date and not have a guy pick you up. Dawn asked if I’d meet her at, now get this one, at a gas station.
So there I was, sitting at a Mobile station to meet Dawn. Dawn was right on time, which was 5:30. Her comes the part about Dawn not “getting it.” Dawn said “Hi” and then said, “We are so close to my apartment, let’s drop my car off.” Okay, then. Dawn asks me to follow her and we are dealing with rush hour traffic. She jumps into traffic and drives off, not stopping to see if I followed. I waited until she returned. “You didn’t follow me.” “Dawn,” I responded, “My car does not fly. How did you expect me to follow you?” Dawn said, “There was too much traffic, I had no choice. There is an Italian restaurant next to the gas station. Would you like to go there?” So now we are seated at what is a pizza joint not an Italian restaurant., Billy Joel did not write, “Bottle of red, bottle of white” about this hell hole. Dawn orders a wine. I assume it is a beer/wine place so I ordered a Budweiser. Now begins the adventure. Here’s the dialog:
Dawn: Bud, Dawn needs to know something.” (Oh my God, I thought, she is talking in the third person.) Dawn knows that she is a great catch for Bud. She is young, pretty and bright.Now Dawn does understand that Bud has four children. Dawn would like to get very serious with Bud. Would Bud have a child with Dawn?
Bud: Could we have dinner first?
Dawn: Dawn thinks Bud is a very funny man. But seriously, would Bud have a child with Dawn?
Bud: (I am very experienced with this type of question. I had been single for all but three years since 1988.) Dawn, yes I have four kids. I love kids. Why wouldn’t I have another?
Dawn: Dawn thinks this is REALLY encouraging. Dawn thinks that she and Bud will be together a long time.
Bud: (Now if she means that I’ll probably finish my grinder before leaving, than “yes.” It will be a LONG time) Waitress!
Waitress: Yes, Sir.
Bud: Do you have any real alcohol here?
Waitress: Why yes, sir. What can I get you?
Bud: Smirnoff Vodka, please.
Waitress: With what?
Bud: A glass and some ice. And quickly, very quickly.
Dawn: Dawn is SO happy this is going so well!!
I had another Smirnoff and paid the check. When we got outside Dawn asked, “Would Bud like to see Dawn’s apartment?” I paused, smiled and said, “Dawn, as you said, this went so well, why spoil it?” “Okay,” Dawn smiled, “When Bud picks up Dawn next time, he can see the apartment.”I am sure you are shocked. There turned out not to be a “next time”. Every word here is exactly as it happened. God, I do not miss being single.
11. What day would you love to relive again? Why? I’d like to live a day I starred as DJ Gary Hunter at the disco I spun at in the 70s. It’s where I met Kathy, but I don’t remember her. I’d love to pop over and say, “hi”. Then, I’d tell her that she’d be one of my wives. I would expect that she would have throw her sloe gin fiz at me.
12. If your life was turned into a movie… what actor would your best friend think should play you? Brad Pitt. OK, say I have no clue what he would say. But the dude can do nuance and my life has been filled with nuance and stupid women, like Dawn.
14. Show us a picture from high school or college. Our first WTIT DJ pic is from our high school pictures.
|Johnnie Walker, Gary Townsend, BudWeiser, Billy Brewer, Gypsy Grillo.|
15. If you could travel anywhere in the world, all expenses paid, where would you go? Impossible to know, but amoung the choices: Africa, because of all things animal. England, because they speak American. Russia and Japan for the culture. Or Thailand for the live sex shows. You can see my dilemma.
|What happened to them?|
17. If you could choose to stay a certain age forever, what age would it be and why? I loved being single at 40. I still “had it”, but I knew so much more than the first time that I was single. That said, now beats then.
00s: If You’re Out There by John Legend. There’s so much optimism and truth in that song.
|Twiddle Dee & Twiddle Dumb|
19. Romney picked Paul Ryan to run as his veep. Any thoughts? I think that this election is a repeat, yet in reverse, of the 2004 election. No one like George W., buy Kerry-Edwards did not excite at all. Now no one is wild about Obama, but I truly think that he will win by a larger margin than George W did over Kerry.
20. Your chance: Pick a meme you’ve done for us to steal. Bud and Judd will visit EVERY post today. Feel free to say, “Bugger off”, or anything like that. Sorry. I use them for questions for Saturday 9 on occasion. Peace, love and good sex until next time.
Enjoy your weekend.
Like it or not.
Same time. Same blog.