Welcome to Rock ‘n Roll Fridays on WTIT: The Blog. This meme appealed to us because of a twist in its concept. Each week DJ KathyA (its host) picks a rock band, artist or era. She digs up thirteen quotes from the song lyrics and asks her questions based on the quotes. Let’s do it.
1. Black and White: “The world is black The world is white
It turns by day and then by night The child is black The child is white
Together they grow to see the light To see the light”
What are your favorite black and white items? Shemar Moore and Paget Brewster.
2. Joy To The World: “If I were the King of the world, Tell you what I’d do,
I’d throw away the cars and the bars and the wars
And make sweet love to you”
What would YOU do if you were King of the World? I’d throw away wars and do the sex thang, but I’d leave cars and bars alone.
3. Easy To Be Hard: “How can people have no feelings, How can they ignore their friends
Easy to be proud, easy to say no”
Have you ever ignored a friend? Not exactly. There are times that friendships ebb or wane and I am generally good at reading that. Oh, but naked female friends I never ignore. Just for the record.
4. Old Fashioned Love Song: “Just an old-fashioned love song, One I’m sure they wrote for you and me, Just an old-fashioned love song, Comin’ down in 3-part harmony”
What song do you think was written about you? If the Phone Doesn’t Ring, It’s Me by Jimmy Buffett.
5. Out In The Country: “Before the breathin’ air is gone, Before the sun is just a bright spot in the nighttime, Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone and take back somethin’ worth rememberin’”
When was the last time you took back something worth rememberin? Kathy and I took a major hike last night. The weather was beautiful and so was she. What do you mean that a short walk through the neighborhood is not a major hike? It sure seemed so.
6. Family of Man: “Memories replacing the loves that we’ve lost, Burning our bridges as soon as they’re crossed, Factories built where the rivers ran, And time running out for the family of man”
Since the nuclear plant tragedy in Japan, what alternate power source would you prefer? All in all, just rats in a maze.
7. Shambala: “Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, On the road to Shambala,
Everyone is lucky, everyone is so kind, On the road to Shambala”
Where have you been where everyone is overly friendly? In the south I think people are very friendly, perhaps not “overly” friendly, though. I visit my BFF Harvey Wallbanger who lives in Atlanta. Once when flying home I stopped at a gift shop at Atlanta’s airport to get a newspaper and a Diet Coke. The woman at the counter smile and asked where I was off to. I told her Connecticut and she said that she loved New England while wishing me a safe trip. When I arrived at our Hartford airport, I wanted another Diet Coke and a Hartford newspaper. The woman at the gift shop took my money, said not a word and never made eye contact.
9. One: “It’s just no good anymore since she went away, Now I spend my time just making rhymes of yesterday”
But then they said “What the fuck” and the rest of the story is what legends are made of.
10. Never Been To Spain: “Well I never been to heaven, But I been to Oklahoma
Well they tell me I was born there, But I really don’t remember”
What is your earliest memory as a child/baby? I remember figuring out how to get out of my playpen where I was placed in front of the TV. I remember just waiting for my mom to come in and see my accomplishment. My mom used the TV as her primary babysitter. It’s probably why I still watch a ton of TV. But now it’s not a small screened black and white RCA model. Oh and after my mom told me how I was getting to be “such a big boy” I jumped back in the playpen so I could watch more TV.
11. Mama Told Me Not To Come: “Just open the window brother, and let me catch my breath”
Where was the last really stinky place you were in? The Big E. Kathy loves The Big E which is New England’s big fucking state fair.
12. One Man Band: “Here I am, take my hand, I’m your man, Baby, let me be your one man band”
Do you play an instrument? No, but I’ve shared my skin flute on occasion.
13. Liar: “You’ve taken my life, so take my soul, That’s what you said and I believed it all
I want to be with you as long, As you want me to, I won’t move away
Ain’t that what you said?”
When was the last time you were lied to? Kathy told me about some things that she charged. The items were: A Dell computer, a Canon camera and a VCR to DVD converter. I asked if that was all. She said it was. I just gave her a stern look. She added, “Oh and an iPod.” (Let it be noted that all of this was none of my business since she was spending her own $$$. Also it was really an omission and not a lie. But it was a fucking riot when it happened. We laughed till we cried.)