Welcome to Rock ‘n Roll Fridays on WTIT: The Blog. This meme appealed to us because of a twist in its concept. Each week DJ KathyA (its host) picks a rock band, artist or era. She digs up thirteen quotes from the song lyrics and asks her questions based on the quotes. Let’s do it.
1. SURFER GIRL : “I have watched you on the shore, standing by the ocean roar, do you love me do you surfer girl”
Were you ever interested in someone (other than a celebrity) who did not return your interest? Of course. The best advice I got upon becoming single after my first marriage was, “Everything is timing.” You can have chemistry and wonder, but if you are at different points in the “what you are looking for” department, it is doomed.
2. BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL : “So be true to your school now, just like you would for your girl or guy…”
Looking back, how do you feel about your high school days? They were great. Everything revolved around WTIT. Along with the original five DJs, Gary, Joe, Billy, Johnnie and I, we had DJs Bull, Carter B, Teddy Q, Ken, Hunt and Benny. So, we had instant parties. We taped and spoke with our girlfriends and many parties had a WTIT music tape running. We never could have imagined that WTIT would last to record a 40th anniversary show.
3. FUN FUN FUN : “…and she’ll have fun fun fun till her daddy takes the T-Bird away…”
What was the worst punishment you received as a teenager? I can’t remember any. Believe it or not, I was a pretty good kid. I pulled some shit, but I never got caught.
4. I GET AROUND : “Round round get around, I get around”
Where did you go on your last long trip? New Jersey. It was a 15 hour train ride. Amtrak. You might live to talk about it.
5. HELP ME RHONDA : “You gotta help me Rhonda, help me get her off of my mind”
What do you do to cheer up after a personal tragedy such as a lost job, power outage or broken relationship? Drink Smirnoff.
6. CALIFORNIA GIRLS : “I wish they all could be California girls. The west coast has the sunshine and the girls there get so tan, I dig a French bikini on Hawaiian island dolls, by a palm tree in the sand”
Where are the best boys found? Around the WTIT Studio table.
7. SLOOP JOHN B : “I wanna go home, please let me go home, ya ya. Well this is the worst trip, I’ve ever been on…”
What is the worst trip you’ve ever been on? I really don’t think I had a bad trip. There have been bad aspects, like missing a connection, but never a bad trip.
8. WOULDN’T IT BE NICE : “I guess the more we talk about it, it makes it harder just to live without it, but let’s talk about it…”
What is your biggest wish? I cannot wait for Kathy and I to buy a house. I’d like a Sony Vaio computer, too.
9. IN MY ROOM : “There’s a place where I can go and tell my secrets to. In my room. In my room.”
What is your favorite thing about your own personal room or space in your home/office? The WTIT Studio has been in my house or apartment since I was 15. It is my sanctuary.
10. GOD ONLY KNOWS : “You never need to doubt it, I’ll make you so sure about it. God only knows what I feel about you”
When was the last time you told a significant other or close relative that you loved them? Kathy phoned to tell me when she’d be home this evening. We always say “I love you” at the end of our calls.
11. GOOD VIBRATIONS : “My baby has good vibrations, she’s giving me excitations…”
When do you get good vibrations? Daily.
12. KOKOMO : “We’ll go to Kokomo. We’ll get there fast and then we’ll take it slow. That’s where I wanna go…”
What is your favorite warm weather destination? If I were to grab Kathy and set a destination it would be St. Martin or perhaps Hawaii. We would love to meet Thom.
13. DO IT AGAIN : “Let’s get back together and do it again…”
If you could go back in time and gather up your school friends, what would you do again? In a heartbeat. I’d love to do one more tape with the original WTIT DJs. Ironically, four of us live locally for the first time in years. Johnnie Walker has been me with me at WTIT since the beginning. Joe and I occasionally email through facebook since he’s moved back. Gary is still in D.C. We email, but it’s not like we get together when he is in town. I have not seen Billy since I ran into him in 1987. But, I would love for us to have have one more Tape Radio show together. We will return with Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9.
by WTIT: The Blog today.
Check that, we also might not.
We’re back with Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9.
Join us Saturday. Same time. Same blog.