Welcome to Rock ‘n Roll Fridays on WTIT: The Blog. This meme appealed to us because of a twist in its concept. Each week DJ KathyA (its host) picks a rock band, artist or era. She digs up thirteen quotes from the song lyrics and asks her questions based on the quotes. It is similar to Janera Jepson’s Wednesday meme. Let’s do it. The meme questions are in bold.
Rock ‘n Roll Fridays: Simon & Garfunkel
1. A HAZY SHADE OF WINTER But look around, the leaves are brown, And the sky is a hazy shade of winter. Oh, seasons change with scenery, weaving time in a tapestry, Won’t you stop and remember me? Do you think of someone special during Winter? Jill Hennessy. Now guess who I think of in the spring?
3. EL CONDOR PASA I’d rather be a forest than a street. Yes I would. If I could, I surely would. I’d rather feel the earth beneath my feet.
When was the last time you went barefoot in the grass? The twins and I had a great picnic in September. There was lots of Smirnoff. We decided to skinny dip at the pool here. When you decide to do this at 3 in the afternoon on Labor Day, you have had enough to drink. My neighbor’s wife had to bail us out.
4. AMERICA Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike, They’ve all come to look for America…
How do you entertain yourself during a traffic jam? It depends. Is there a gorgeous woman in the passenger’s seat?
6. 59th STREET BRIDGE SONG Got no deeds to do, No promises to keep. I’m dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep. Let the morning time drop all its petals on me. Life, I love you, All is groovy.
|Kathy with Mark Lindsay|
What was the last event that made you feel groovy? Groovy? Danger Will Robinson. I’ll go with Mark Lindsay’s (of The Raiders) show at The Big E (New England’s big fucking state fair).
7. RICHARD CORY The papers print his picture almost everywhere he goes: Richard Cory at the opera, Richard Cory at a show. And the rumor of his parties and the orgies on his yacht! Oh, he surely must be happy with everything he’s got.
Yes. If you can pay your bills and not have credit card debt, life is sweet. I will never have money to burn but I will get by.
8. THE BOXER In the clearing stands a boxer, And a fighter by his trade And he carries the reminders Of ev’ry glove that laid him down
How do you feel about boxing as a sport? I grew up watching fights on Friday nights on TV. It is the only sport that is not regulated. It is corrupt. It is brutal. But that said I would love to see Mayweather vs Pacquiao. Go figure.
9. MRS ROBINSON Hide in the hiding place where no one ever goes. Put it in your pantry with your cupcakes. It’s a little secret just the Robinsons’ affair. Most of all you’ve got to hide it from the kids.
What was the last thing you hid from the kids or significant other in your home? My collection of naked pictures of women who have sent them to me from reading this blog.
10. I AM A ROCK I have my books And my poetry to protect me; I am shielded in my armor,
What item protects you? My integrity.
11. KATHY’S SONG I hear the drizzle of the rain Like a memory it falls Soft and warm continuing Tapping on my roof and walls.
What is your least favorite thing about rain? Nirvana did a live cover of The Beatles’ Rain. Cobain knew very few lyrics of the song. Don’t tell anyone, but I think Kurt might have been high.
12. HOMEWARD BOUND Home where my thought’s escaping, Home where my music’s playing, Home where my love lies waiting Silently for me.
What’s your favorite thing about your home? The WTIT Tape Radio studio. It has existed in my home since 1967. It has been home to 33 or so WTIT DJs, my kids have bounced on these chairs and my grandkids have sat here. It is a magical room that moves when I do. On the wall are WTIT DJ Staff photos from 1969 to 2010. The boys in the band are always smiling.
13. FIFTY WAYS TO LEAVE YOUR LOVER The problem is all inside your head, she said to me The answer is easy if you take it logically I’d like to help you in your struggle to be free There must be fifty ways to leave your lover
What was the worst way you ever left a lover? We will call this a Carrie’s post-it question. I sent an email once. Boy did I get a lot of shit over that one. But really, what is a good way? And in the end the love take is equal to the love you make. We will return with Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9.
by WTIT: The Blog today.
Check that, we also might not.
We’re back with Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9.
Join us Saturday. Same time. Same blog.