We are on vacation this week, spending the week at the New Jersey shore. We are with our daughter Heather and her family and my son Ben and his wife. One of our ALL TIME POPULAR features at WTIT: The Blog was written by Lola. Before there was Crazy Sam and her Saturday 9, there was Lola. Lola wrote a blog named Saturday 8. The biggest difference is these Saturday memes was that Lola wrote very long questions, which both asked her question and editorialized. If you are new to this feature we think you will find some of her questions and the way that she asked them laugh-out-loud funny. Oh, and Lola hated us. If we signed in to say our answers were on our site, she would delete. But in truth, we were brutal to her, as you will see. If you remember this feature, we know you’ll enjoy a trip down memory lane. If you are new to it, have a blast! Lola’s questions are in bold.
sat 8:: babies and wee things.
1. i’m going to a baby shower today. do you like baby showers? I have never attended a baby shower. In the day, guys weren’t invited. Oh, what have I missed? On second thought, I’ll ask someone else. Anyone else.
2. are you a parent? Yes. I have forty-seven children. Only four have tracked me down. Great kids, though. And smarter than the rest.
3. i abhor baby showers, but i must attend this one. i’ve been practising my “sit and smile” routine. what do you do when you are forced to attend a function you hate? Lola, is there anything you don’t hate? Last time it was work and your boss. You are, and please take this as constructive criticism, a total brat. I bet you couldn’t “sit and smile” if a winning Powerball ticket was on the line.
4. my neighbour recently had a baby with down’s as she is 41 yrs. old. how old is ‘too old’ to have a baby? Lola this is insensitive even for you. You blame your neighbor for having a baby at 41? And now you are taking a poll to see if you’re right? This is SO none of your fucking business.
5. my friend recently had twin boys, which i think is God’s way of getting back at you for all the evil you have done in your life. before i had children, i used to think having twins was a ‘cool idea.’ now, with fertility drugs, triplets and quadruplets are fairly common. what is your feeling on multiple-child pregnancies? Trust me, Lola. If God were to get back at a very bad person, you would have had litters.
6. Plan B was approved to go over-the-counter in the States. i’m thrilled beyond belief as i’ve had to use something similar (broken condom), BUT many people are up-in-arms about Plan B due to their beliefs on conception & life. how do you feel about morning-after contraception? Truthfully, I think it is a woman’s right to choose. Does plan B fix broken condoms? (Sorry, folks, I just had to ask that.) However, do you think it is a shame your Mom didn’t have the option?
7. quite a few of my friends are childless by choice and get constantly hounded by friends/family for being ‘selfish’. some others are not able to conceive and one friend has adopted from China. deep-down, how do you feel about couples who choose NOT to procreate. does a part of you want to tell a close friend/family member that they’re really ‘missing out’? Somehow I imagine that you tell anyone everything and anything that crosses that tiny brain of yours. People who cross your path find you explaining how they should live their lives. I bet you make LOTS of friends that way. I tend to wait to be asked. That you were allowed children, however, is downright scary.
8. a friend is childless by choice, and she and her husband (late 20s, early 30s) have gone into their OB/GYN and vasectomy clinics looking to be sterilised. they have actually been turned away and referred to psychiatric counselling due to this request. how do you feel in regard to the way they’ve been treated for their request? Hey anything can happen and I finally agree with you. Assuming you think they were treated extremely rudely. I’d tell them to find a new OB/GYN.
see you next time? God. I guess so. It should be very exciting.