Every Saturday WTIT: The Blog brings you a meme called Saturday 9. It’s not to say that this is a bright idea, but it is what we do. A woman named Crazy Sam started this meme because our prior popular Saturday meme specialist Lola had unofficially retired. Her finally post was on February 16, 2008. It garnered no comments. R.I.P. So, Sam contacted all Lola’s participants and invited us to participate in her meme. We are not sure why she included us, but she did. And we are glad she did. All of Sam’s questions and writing are in bold.
1. Can you sing the fight song? I guessing you’ve never heard me sing. I can’t sing happy birthday.
2. Who was your favorite teacher? The librarian hands down. If you timed it right, after she had her lunchtime nips, she was a heck of a lot of fun. At least until we tried to cut out the middleman and decided to give her nips in the morning. I don’t know why the principal finding her passed out and naked was such a big deal. At least I had dressed.
3. What was your school mascot? We were called the “Wheelchairs” which was suppose to be amusing. But the FDR Wheelchairs? And the mascot looked ridiculous pushing the dummy around. But I suppose our rival the JFK Bullets did not have it easy either.
4. Did you go to the Prom? Of course. I had to find out if the old adage about how fast you can get a girl out of the prom dress was true. It wasn’t. Not that she didn’t want out, but those things have buttons and zippers everywhere. But I was never one to shy away from a challenge.
5. If you could go back, would you? To live it again? I suppose maybe to a party or two, but not school. Yuk.
6. What do you remember most about graduation? The sheer joy that it was over. But it was sad to say goodbye to Miss Shell, our librarian. That was her last year there. She passed out during Pomp and Circumstance.
7. Where were you on Senior Skip Day? We took our girlfriends to the beach and drank Colt 45. I knew we had sunk to a new low when WTIT DJ Ken Kolt asked to no one in particular if anyone had ever heard a girl fart. While the guys were laughing for some reason the dates were not amused. Until Sheila passed gas as if on cue. Then we laughed our asses off and switched to Cuervo Tequila shots.
8. Did you have a job your senior year? Besides being a WTIT DJ? Are you kidding? I had a lot of responsibility. Planning parties, finding certain guys dates. You would be amazed how hard it is to fix up guys who tell fart jokes.
9. Where did you go most often for lunch? Sam, repeating an idea for a meme wore you out. We ate what was suppose to pass for lunch in the cafeteria. Maybe you should have just done eight questions today.
After a radio, nightclub and television career of over 25 years,we still write and perform comedy with essentially the same group of guys that we started with over 50 years ago. We began as WTIT: Tape Radio and have kept the moniker ever since. We did comedy using this "WTIT Tape Radio" station as the backdrop. it is also a journal of a group of friends done in a radio morning show format playing the music of the era. We have every recording. We interviewed our girlfriends before “The Prom” or whatever. We shared growing up, getting married and having kids on WTIT. Later it was stories of divorces, new wives or girlfriends and grandchildren.
If you’re here for a laugh, we hope you enjoy your visit. If you’re here because of a cosmic accident where all of the web except this blog has gone, then we simply apologize. To learn more about WTIT visit WTIT.net. (View my