We try to bring this feature to you every Saturday on the WTIT Tape Radio Blog, this meme that is called Saturday 8. The author for years has been a lady named Lola. While she used to post every week, Lola now has her problems from time to time. So now we can only do the feature if she bothers to post, and Voila! The stars must in in alignment, or something like that. Lola’s question often make no sense what-so-ever. We feel it is part of her “charm”. All quotes in bold are from Lola. Also, any spelling and grammar mistakes that are in Lola’s meme, we leave there. We wouldn’t want to mess around with her “art”.
Sat:8 travel, baby.
i’m in iceland. it’s cold. beautiful, cold, and about 5 hours of daylight. i truly know what people mean now when they say, “hurry up … you’re burnin’ daylight!” i’m in patrick’s timezone now!I’d be lying if I said I know who Patrick is, but any friend of Lola, I want to get to know.
1. what is the furthest you’ve ever travelled from your home? At times just going to the mailbox in my complex is a challenge. And boy when I march those twenty feet it is like being in a foreign country. Kind of like Iceland I would think. The answer is London.
2. everyone has a dream vacation … what’s yours? What difference would having a dream vacation? I’m on vacation in a lot of dreams. I think I’d say Africa. Or maybe an island. And I’d take the Paulason twins, for moral support.
3. where you live, is there a marked difference between the amount of daylight you see in the summer and winter? Daylight comes in the daytime. Darkness in the night. Every day. I think the swing in New England is about four hours. Or it is four days. I mix that up a lot.
4. what is the coldest temperature you’ve ever experienced? Four years ago at Apricots’ Restaurant. I walk her to her car. We kissed for the first time. She was playing with my belt when she said, “YUK!!” Yuk? At the time I still smoked. A year later after I quit somebody told her and she called. One wacko lady. A date from hell. We will talk about it in another post, though. (Check out my stories under “single”.)
5. i am used to a minimum of 50% humidity. i’m so dry up here in reykjavik, i am scratching like i’ve got fleas. what’s your common humidity where you live? Do I look like Clarence the weather man? Oh wait. I’ll look it up. Stay right here. Okay, I’m back. It is 49% today. I will track it for the year now Lola. I will get back to you on it. Oh and you actually do have fleas. Somebody just had to find a way to tell you.
6. right now, all the news i get is about the serial killer in england. i feel so disconnected from the States. when was the last time you felt “disconnected” from home, and why did you feel that way? Want to know what you missed? Roadside bombs and more civil war in Iraq. A president still in HUGE denial and a Russian President that is going looney toones. George W. cannot go away fast enough. Me, only disconnected when the power goes out. Very disconnected.
7. the coffee here is all instant, even at coffee shoppes. you have to go in to a really chic shoppe and pay about $7-8USD for a good cup of non-instant coffee. would you settle for instant, or are you a coffee-worshipper who would pay that much for a good cup? You are on vacation Lola. Do the good stuff. Me? I drink Diet Coke® not coffee. That helpful?
8. icelanders, though very nice once you get to talking to them, are really perfunctory. they would be considered rude in the U.S. and score REALLY low on the customer service side. they’re not mean or rude or condescending, it’s just that the ‘niceties’ we take for granted (“have a nice day” or “thank you!”) are not very present here. when was the last time you experienced sub-par customer service?First of all Lola, a reality check. Icelanders are incredibly warm and open. They just all hate you. So be a little understanding. And please stop all the denial.
see you next week when i’m warmer! I am counting the minutes.
We hope you enjoyed your visit to the WTIT Tape Radio Blog on a Saturday. Next time we will bring you Stealing! Please stop by! If you don’t have a better offer that is. Always hold out for that best offer! Parts of today’s post were originally posted on December 15, 2006. See you next time.
Same time. Same blog.
Bud Weiser - Downtown, Connecticut, United States
After a radio, nightclub and television career of over 25 years, I still write and perform comedy with essentially the same group of guys that I started with over 45 years ago. We began as WTIT: Tape Radio and have kept the moniker ever since. What WTIT is, however, a journal of a group of friends done in a radio morning show format playing the music of the era. We have every recording. We interviewed our girlfriends before “The Prom” or whatever. We shared growing up, getting married and having kids on WTIT. Later it was stories of divorces, new wives or girlfriends and grandchildren.
Just like with any group of friends, people came and left over the years. More than 50 gentlemen have sat around our big round table in what is now a state of the art digital recording studio. We still call it “Tape Radio” because we’re old guys who hate change. This comedy blog has won numerous awards and tells part of the story, but exists mostly to comment on life, politics, music and entertainment as it passed by our virtual window. One of our original guys left in 1985. But in 2013 he returned. So our starting five have three of the creators of WTIT.
Shortly after that on our http://facebook.com/WTITRADIO page we announced when our next recording night would be. Another of the original five had come back to join in. Galloping Gary, our brother, returned (since 1982) to record. The "Galloping Gary Garage Show" returned to WTIT in 2014. So for one special night (the first since 1973), four of the founding five were sitting at our table. The sight where all the guys who came after them had sat.
If you’re here for a laugh, we hope you enjoy your visit. If you’re here because of a cosmic accident where all of the web except this blog has gone, then we simply apologize. To learn more about WTIT visit WTIT.net. (View my